Chapter 1

Mist

  Mist yawned, padding out of her den. She and her sister, Blue, were living at the edge of a forest, with their den hidden by some bushes. The loner stretched her paws, looking around for her sister. Where is she?

 ''Caught you!'' Blue suddenly yowled, pinning Mist down. 

 The she-cat, caught by surprise, looked at her sister, wide-eyed. ''How? I didn't hear your paw steps!''

 ''I've been practicing.'' Blue purred, then padded backwards in order for her sister to get up. 

 Mist got up on her paws, shaking her fur. ''So, while you were 'practicing', have you caught any prey?'' She asked.

 Blue froze. ''Oh- well, you see- er, I..''

 ''So that's a no?'' Mist rolled her eyes. 

 Blue hesitated, then nodded. ''Yes, fine, it's a no. I'm sorry, I wanted to scare you.''

 ''And you did a great job.'' Mist sighed. Although I love my sister, she can sometimes be a pain in the tail.

 ''Since you're awake, and I didn't catch anything, do you want to go hunt?'' Blue asked. 

 Mist nodded. ''Good idea, let's go!''

 Blue turned around and padded deeper in their territory. Mist followed her, looking toward the forest on their right. I bet we could catch more prey if we had our territory there.. but it's taken by Clan cats. I wonder what it's like living in a Clan.

 Because Mist was looking at the forest, she didn't notice that her sister stopped. She bumped in her sister and fell to the ground.

 ''Hey! You scared the prey!'' Blue hissed, turning her head. 

 Mist got up. ''Sorry.'' She mumbled.

 ''How come you didn't hear what I said?'' Blue asked. 

 Mist shrugged. ''I don't know, I was looking at the forest.''

 ''Oh.'' Blue meowed, looking at the forest. ''Want to go there?''

 ''Hold up, what?'' Mist looked at her sister, surprised. ''We can't! Clan cats live there, and we're loners! We respect borders!'' She hissed.

 Blue shrugged. ''We do, but we'll be careful not to cross a border. Come on, it will be fun! Maybe we can catch a mouse or two and come back unharmed.''

 ''I don't know..'' Mist whispered, but Blue didn't wait. 

 ''Come on!'' She purred and ran off in the forest.

 Mist rolled her eyes and followed her sister. Once in the forest, she looked around. The trees were so tall that the sky could barely be seen. She shivered a bit. She flicked her ears as she heard the birds chirp somewhere in the trees.

 ''Wait, stop.'' Blue suddenly whispered. 

 Mist stopped. ''What's wrong?''

 ''Cats.'' Her sister hissed, then pushed Mist in a bush. 

 She blinked. ''Hey! I can walk by myself!'' She hissed as her sister landed next to her.

 ''I know, now be quiet.'' Blue whispered. 

 Mist sighed, then looked through the bush.

 In front of them, three cats stopped.

 ''Ugh, it's so cold today!'' A dark brown tabby tom hissed.

 ''Oh, Dustpelt, it's always cold for you.'' A long-haired white tom rolled his eyes.

 ''Can you two be quiet? We're trying to hunt here.'' A pale ginger she-cat hissed.

 ''Sure.'' Dustpelt growled, then stopped. He sniffed the air. ''I smell something.''

 ''Uh-oh, Blue, we have to get out of here.'' Mist whispered, but her sister didn't seem to hear her.

 ''What?'' The pale ginger she-cat asked.

 ''Loners.'' Dustpelt growled.

 ''Loners?'' The long-haired white tom tilted his head. ''Are you sure?''

 ''Yes.'' Dustpelt hissed. ''And the scent comes from there.'' He looked toward the bush Mist and Blue were hiding in.

 ''Come on, we have to go!'' Mist desperately whispered, but her sister didn't move. Annoyed, she grabbed Blue's scruff and turned around, sprinting away from the bush. She could barely drag Blue with her, but she didn't stop.

 ''Let go of me!'' Blue spat, but Mist didn't let her go. Once they were back in their territory, she let go of her sister's scruff and looked at her.

 ''I can walk by myself, you know?'' Blue hissed. 

 Mist sat down and licked her paw. ''That sounds familiar.''

 Blue's neck fur bristled, but she didn't say anything. ''Anyway, who were those cats?'' She asked.

 ''I don't know.'' Mist shrugged. ''Probably Clan cats. But did you heard one of the names? 'Dustpelt'. Weird name.''

 ''I know, right?'' Blue purred in amusement. ''What kind of name is Dustpelt?''

 ''I don't know, but I bet there are more weird names.'' Mist laughed. ''Such as.. hmm.. Dustpeltsky!'' She purred.

 ''Dustpeltsky? Wow, how can that cats remember such long names? But anyway, I don't think all the names start with Dustpelt.'' Blue meowed.

 ''I guess. But anyway, I don't really care.'' Mist yawned, and then she heard her belly rumble. ''I'm hungry, and we still didn't catch anything.'' She rolled her eyes.

 ''I'm hungry too.'' Blue sighed, then got up. ''Come on, let's go try hunt again. And this time, in our territory.'' She meowed and padded away.

 Mist quietly followed her sister. She said that like I came with the idea to go in the forest! But I'd rather not talk about it. I don't feel in the mood to argue, anyway.

 Mist then looked away, toward the mountains. I've heard some other cats say that there are cats living in the mountains. I wonder if that's true.

 ''Wait, stop.'' Blue whispered, loud enough for Mist to hear. ''There's a squirrel in front of us. I'll try to hunt it.'' She meowed, then crouched.

 Mist backed off and hid in a bush, watching her sister. Blue creeped toward the squirrel, staying as low as possible. The squirrel didn't seem to notice the danger, because it only looked up when Blue already jumped on it.

 When Mist saw the squirrel again, it was tangling from her sister's jaw. She got up and padded toward her. ''Nice catch!'' She purred.

 ''Thanks, but it won't be enough for the both of us.'' Blue meowed. ''I'll go back to our den. You should try to catch something else.'' She continued, then padded toward their den.

 Mist began sniffing the air, but it wasn't long before she caught the scent of prey. She carefully followed it. After a while, she saw a crow on a rock, with its back at Mist.

 Perfect! Mist then crouched, silently creeping toward the crow. She then heard a noise. She stepped on a twig.

 Annoyed, Mist stopped. But the crow seemed to notice her, because it already began flying away. Mist unsheathed her claws and quickly jumped up, catching the crow in her jaws. She killed it with a swift bite at the neck.

 Proud, the loner grabbed the crow and turned around, padding back toward her den. This will have to be enough.