Chapter 9

Mist That Appears Before Dawn

 Stoneteller nodded toward Mist and Rain. ''All right, your wounds are patched up. Now, can you tell me what exactly happened?''

 Rain quickly explained how Mist saved her from the hawk. Mist, feeling awkward, just stared at her paws.

 Stoneteller listened quietly. After Rain was done, the tom looked directly at Mist. ''So, you saved her from an hawk?''

 ''Yes.'' Mist nodded. Why did he ask me that? Rain just explained to him what happened.

 ''What prey-hunters trained you in the past moon?'' Stoneteller asked.

  Mist blinked as she remembered. ''Wing, Flight, and Gray.''

 ''Rain, please call them in my den.'' Stoneteller looked at the she-cat, then at Mist. ''You can go. Don't leave the cave, though. After I'm done talking with them, I'll call you back in my den.''

 Mist nodded and rushed out of the den. Am I in trouble? Did I do something bad?

 She crouched near the exit of the cave, thinking about what Stoneteller told her. She feared the worst.

 ''Wow, what happened?''

 She raised her head. Snow padded toward her with a bird in her mouth. She lay close to Mist and began eating the bird.

 ''Nothing.'' Mist mumbled.

 ''Are you sure? You look like you just saw a ghost.'' Snow narrowed her eyes. 

 Mist blinked. ''I'm fine.''

 ''Come on, I saw you limp in the cave with Rain, who was covered in wounds. Then you two went in Stoneteller's den and now you look like this. What happened?'' Snow tilted her head.

 Mist sighed. ''I left the cave earlier and I heard a screech. I followed it and I saw Rain attacked by a hawk, so I saved her. Stoneteller checked our wounds and told Rain to bring the prey-hunters I trained with in the past moon in his den. He also told me not to leave the cave, because he wants to talk with me after.'' She explained.

 ''Hmm, sounds like you might become a full prey-hunter.'' Snow meowed.

 Mist looked at her. ''No, I don't think so. I think I did something bad.''

 ''Like what?'' Snow tilted her head

 ''I don't know.'' Mist whispered. ''I'm fearing the worst.''

 ''Well, don't!'' Snow purred and got up. ''Come on, I'm sure you'll become a prey-hunter after this! But it will be weird, because you joined a moon ago and me and the others have been training for almost three moons.''

 ''Well, I'm older than you.'' Mist shrugged. 

 Snow rolled her eyes. ''I guess you're right.''

 Mist and Snow continued to talk. After a while, Flight approached them. The two to-bes looked up.

 ''Mist, Stoneteller wants you in his den.'' Flight meowed and padded away.