Chapter 1

Dear Baani,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been appointed for the position of Test Engineer at Spectro PVT LTD.  The terms of employment have been attached to this letter. It would be required for you to join us by 16th January 2019. Your signing on this letter confirms your acceptance of the terms and conditions. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
Swathi
HR Manager

I have read this umpteenth time, finally, I have made it, I said to myself. Getting a job in the most happening city was my biggest dream. Well, I have only 2 days left to pack my bags and leave this city behind, I look at my medals, my school pictures, my college pictures, I look at the lovely family photo frame hanging right in front of me which my brother gifted me. How strange this feeling is, on one end I am on the top the world, going to live my life independently and on another end, I will have to leave my family, friends and everyone to live my dream, I feel a knot in my stomach as thoughts of mom-dad and my brother Vivek's face pop up in front of me. I couldn't hold back my tears, I held my phone tightly as I type in the Google Notes. I keep the phone, hugging my pillow and sob for some time.

My eyes open in the morning when my alarm shouts at me to wake up and rush to get ready. I have zillion things on my mind, I create the list of things I have to carry, I messaged Tiya, she is my best friend, from childhood to college we have been together, she would always tease that if she would be a guy she would definitely choose me as his girlfriend. "Mom, I will be back in a couple of hours, going with Tiya,  will check off all the things from the list, call me if you need something I tell her as she is busy talking with my aunt on phone, elaborating about my job opportunity." I grab my sling bag, my shoes, helmet and speed up my scooter. I reached the Blue City Mall and found Tiya already waiting for me, we exchanged the tightest hug, it's always special when you are with your best friend. You don't really have to put too much effort into a dressing or impressing each other, it's a very flawless connection you share. We bumped into a footwear shop, I buy one flat sandal, two canvas shoes and one slip-on pair. We carry on with some fashionable apparels, Tiya insists me to buy some crop top, boyfriend's jeans, I try a couple of them, she gifts one-off shoulder top to me a black one which is my favourite. We go to the formal section and I look at a pair of formal attire, black trouser and white shirt, Tiya teasing me, "Baani grow up, you are going Bangalore and who wears formal on the joining day, I know you must be thinking of wearing something sober but just put on a casual tee and jeans. Ok, miss expertise, your wish is my command" I say and drop the idea of buying formal.

We leave the Blue City Mall, heading towards the Hide Out Cafe, our favourite spot, from college days till date we hideout from the world. We reached the cafe, ordered our cheese Maggi and cold coffee, the taste is always mouth-watering and relishing. As we sip our cold coffee, Tiya recalls the moments we had spent till date, I sense her emotions and squeeze her hand, she wipes her tears, she utters those words which stung in my heart, "Baani, you are leaving me alone" here. I insisted her to pursue her Master's Programme in Bangalore, but she has already made up her mind staying here in Jodhpur. My phone rings and it's none other than my mom, I pick up quickly, and there she is ready with her rapid-fire questions, Where are you? How much time it will take? Will you spend some time with us besides your friends? I asked her to catch her breath, Yes Mom coming in 30 minutes. We settle the bill, leave the cafe, hug each other, Tiya said she will come to bid me farewell on my departure date. We lead to our own roads creating one more memory.

I reached home with my shopping bags, Vivek is pulling my legs, "Elizabeth Queen, you are just shifting into another city not leaving the whole country and look at all these stuff, I guess you will pack at least 10 bags. I shut him up by throwing the cushion as I rest myself on the couch. My mom hustles from the kitchen and starts gawking at all the bags. Let's pack after dinner Ok she ordered. I have made your favourite dish her eyes sparkles with joy. I freshen up myself, put on pyjamas and an old t-shirt which I am wearing from school days, it still fits me, it's soft and comfortable. Though my mom once removed it from the cupboard and piled up into the clothes which are not useful anymore but then I begged her to keep this one, I feel too comfy, she gave me a sharp look and said in a robot voice Ok keep it do whatever you want. I went downstairs, pulled my chair, sitting on it, waiting for my dad to join us. My dad is very happy for me but at the same time he doesn't want me to leave home, I understand how it feels living for 22 years with them and all of sudden leaving everything but that's how life is, sometimes to live your dreams you have to leave your comfort zone.

We chat for some time, he informed me to stay with my cousin for some time until I don't find a suitable place for myself. After dinner, I and mom pack my bags, she lends me a box of medicines in case if I get sick due to weather change, some homemade cookies which are my favourite, some other homemade snacks, she has tears in her eyes, You were this small and now see you are going to live by your own. Oh, mom, common I am not getting married right! I will visit home at least once in 2-3 months. You and dad can also visit me. She wipes her tears, instructs me strictly to stay away from boys. I smiled and nodded, accepting the terms and conditions like an obedient student. Soon we finish our packing, I request mom to sleep with me tonight, I wrap myself around her as a toddler wraps around a mother. We talk about all the childhood days, she narrates me about all the mischievous incidents and soon we fall in deep sleep. Next morning I wake up and reach to my balcony, I sit there for a while, looking at the clouds, thinking that tomorrow same time I would be flying in the sky, glancing at the clouds, while I was still in the thoughts, my mom pats my shoulder and informs me to come downstairs for breakfast.

Vivek had already made a plan of having dinner at my favourite restaurant post-movie. My dad suggested for movie URI- The Surgical Strike. We all agreed, Vivek booked the ticket while I quickly call Tiya to update about my plans. Tiya wished she could join us but she said it's your family time and enjoy it to fullest. We went for a movie to the Blue City Mall. We watched with full attention, it gave us goosebumps watching the Indian army's action with terrorists, we shattered tears and it was a proud moment. Our heartbeats pacing fast when it was the last part where the army attacks the terrorists. We enjoyed the movie a lot and headed to my favourite restaurant The Rockyard Restaurant, it's ambience is pleasing, they have tables placed under trees and the lamps hanging on the branches, it's so mesmerizing, it feels like you are sitting under the sky watching moonlight and having your favourite food. We ordered starters, Rajasthani main course dishes, ending our dinner with a delicious dessert. We clicked some pictures, I don't usually post them on social media, I just keep them for memories. We exit towards home, in my thoughts, I wait for tomorrow morning. We reached home, I quickly throw myself into my comfy clothes, set my alarm at 5:30 AM to wake up for next morning, there is no direct flight from Jodhpur to Bangalore my dad informed me, my first flight will be from Jodhpur to Jaipur and then from Jaipur to Bangalore. I am excited, nervous, happy, sad, it's all mixed feelings, I take a deep breath closing my eyes and sleep soon.