07: Sunday Dinner

Mali in mm

Dirty Laundry's Chapter Seven

"I would trade all of that for my son's happiness," --Kimmy Mantez

"As I walked through the doors of my home, my heart beat miles by the second. I could feel the blood rushing to my head and my ears begin to heat up. My hands were sweaty and my eyes were burning. I was scared as hell. I decided not to make my presence known and just wait for him to find me. I could hear MJ upstairs playing with his toys and using his imagination for a friend. Malik was probably in the room across from him.

"Where you been?" I heard from behind me.

I turned around, to be standing face to face with Malik.

"I told you that already, I went to the mall to get a gift for your mom and Mali," I lied.

"Kimmy, you think I'm stupid?" he asked, shoving me back, almost knocking me off my feet.

"No, I'm telling you the truth," I stuttered as I regained my balance.

He chuckled at my neurotic stance and then swiftly picked me up by my waist. I fought for him to let me go, trying to keep from crying out. I didn't want to scare MJ. He griped my chin tightly, pulling me so I was solidly against him.

"Kimmy, I'm really trynna change. But, you always bring me back. Do you like this shit?" He asked angrily.

I shut my eyes tightly like a child not wanting to watch a horror movie, "Malik, I'm telling you the truth."

"Shut up!" He shouted, "Go get dressed, we're already running late," he demanded as he roughly let go of my chin.

I sent a silent prayer up to the heavenly father above. I know Malik would've tore me up if wasn't for us having to go to family dinner. I walked into MJ's room to see him unbothered. He was already dressed in a True Religion sweat suit. I decided I'd also go simple with a pair of skinny legs, brown riding boots, and a light peach button down. After washing up, I put on my clothes and did my hair and makeup. Malik came into the room between these times but he said nothing. I wasn't really looking for an apology anyway though.

I headed downstairs and into the kitchen to pack MJ a few snacks just in case the food wasn't ready when we got there. Malik came in during this time and told me we were leaving in five minutes.

As we pulled out of our driveway, Malik reaches over and took hold of my hand, "I love you Kimmy," he claimed, keeping his eyes forward.

"I love you too Malik," I said as convincingly as possible.

--

We arrived at the Wright home, just in time. I took MJ out of his car seat and carried him inside with Malik following behind. I rung the doorbell and waited for the door to swing open.

"Oh my gosh! Kimmy!" Malik's little sister, Mali, screeched with happiness, opening the door.

I smiled widely and she wrapped her arms around MJ and I, she led the way into the house announcing our presence. It wasn't long before we were being bombarded by Malik's family. The last to greet us was Ms. Elaine. She had on an ingredient filled tank top and a apron with her initials monogramed onto it around her waist. She looked perfect though.

"I finally get to see my grandbaby," she smiled happily, taking MJ out of my arms and squeezing him tightly, "I miss you so much," she said, kissing his ear. She sat him on his feet and allowed him to run into the living room with Mali and a few of her friends, leaving she and I alone. Malik had walked off somewhere long before.

"Kimmy, I miss you so much baby," she confessed sweetly.

"I missed you too Ms. Elaine," I returned as we hugged.

"Is Malik treating you right?" she asked, looking in my eyes.

Ms.Elaine knew of Malik's anger issues, but not the extremes. I mean, she is his mother, of course she knows his personality. There's only been once she's walked in on Malik hitting me in some kind of way, but that's all she's seen and Malik and I lied, telling her that was his first and last time. She believes it, but I think she's still a little on edge from it.

One Year Ago, Winter of 2013

Malik and I were upstairs in one of his mother's guest rooms. We had just got into an argument over his long trips out of the country.

"Malik, you cant just keep leaving us! You're his father! He needs us at this age more than anything. If you keep this up he wont even know who you are!" I explained.

"Kimmy, do you have a job? Hell no! I refuse to go break because you want me to pay more attention to you," he yelled, making my face turn up.

"Me? I don't want shit from you Malik, all I was is for you to give your child some attention! Not me, I could careless about me."

"These trips not for nothing, how you think you wearing Versace and shit?"

"I would trade all of that for my son's happiness, plus we're good for a lifetime, you're just being greedy!"

"Your son? He's mine too!"

I shook my head and turned to walk away, Malik wasn't even paying attention to my points, there was no reason to argue.

"Nah, come back," He yanked me back into him, "you trynna tell me something?"

My feelings were immediately hurt. How could he? Malik was my one and only, he knew that. So, for him to question the paternity of our child and my loyalty, pushed me off the bridge.

"Fuck you!" I screamed, and he shoved me onto the floor, before slapping me senseless. Just as he had mounted on top of me, the door swung open, leaving a shocked Elaine in the door way.

--

"Of course," I half lied. Three weeks ago he did beat the hell out of me, but the past few days he's been better.

I could feel her looking deeply into my eyes, "Tell me truth girl," she demanded.

I laughed to keep from crying, "Ms. Elaine, everything is prefect."

Malik came from in the kitchen, "Ma," he called, "one of them timers just went off."

Ms. Elaine gave me one last look before turning and heading into the kitchen, "and I bet your ol' dumbass didn't even cut it off," she grumbled, pushing past him.

--

Thirty minutes later, everyone was seated around the dining room table. I sat in between Malik and Mali, his mother at the head, her friends on the other end, as well as cousins. MJ sat in Elaine's lap.

As we all sat and ate dinner, Mali stood and clapped to get everyone's attention.

"So, as you all know, I will be attending college next Fall. I had many options, but I've decided to continue my journey of education in Los Angeles at UCLA," she smiled proudly.

Every clapped and shouted for joy. My mouth fell open. I couldn't believe her change of colleges. Malik is definitely about to flip. I heard his fork drop and immediately grabbed his hands, "Nah get off me!" He yelled.

Mali turned with a horrific look on her face.

"What the hell MaliQua! We agreed you would go to Harvard!" He shouted.

"I changed my mind, LA has a lot of opportunities for me!" she whined.

"Opportunities to be a whore!"

"Malik!" Elaine and I shouted.

Mali gasped, "I hate you Malik! You're the worst brother ever!" She screamed to the top of her lungs and stormed out of the dining area.

**

xoxo, DymonSkies