𝟺 ❁ 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚕𝚞𝚗𝚝

"Okay, we didn't see anything, we don't know-" Pope stoped speaking when his eyes met Kayanna's. "Oh... uh... hi." He spoke almost questioningly.

"Finally," Kiara said clearly frustrated from John B's attitude. "Pope, this is Kayanna. Kayanna, this is Pope." She spoke with a smile.

"Hey," Pope greeted again, with a small smile this time.

"Hi," Kayanna spoke for the first time since she entered the porch.

Pope shook his head, remembering the topic at hand, "Anyways, we need to have complete and total amnesia." He said looking at the boys and Kie.

Pope took a seat and Kiara grabbed Kayanna's hand, "C'mon, Kay." She spoke quietly while dragging her down on a nearby couch.

"Actually, Pope's right for once," JJ speaks. "Deny, Deny, Deny."

"Guys, we cant keep that money," Kiara joined the conversation.

"Okay, not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara." JJ responded.

"We have to pass it off to Lana Grubbs, otherwise it's bad karma," Kie continued, glancing at Kay for support. Kayanna shruged slightly. She didn't believe her opinion on the topic had any value, considering she had literally just got there. Kiara had explained the days earlier events to Kay back at the Deion's house before they had left. Although Kayanna did agree with Kie, she understood JJ's point. For some people, money didn't grow on trees.

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too." Pope stated. "We've gotta go dark."

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree."

"I don't agree." John B spoke for the first time.

"What? Why?"

"Just think about it, this is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about, same dude who's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change at a Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than forty bucks in his pocket, and all of the sudden he's got a Grady White? Just sayin'."

• ❁ •

After lots of talk and almost no words from Kayanna, the group had decided to "lay low" by throwing a kegger. Kay didn't quite understand how throwing a party on the beach was laying low, but tagged along anyways. The bunch walked to the beach, Pope carrying cups, JJ and John B carrying the keg, and Kie and Kay trailing behind.

"So whatcha think?" Kie asked Kayanna.

"About what?" Kay replied.

"The gang," Kie let out a laugh, "The crew, the squad, the Pogues."

"Oh, yeah, they're super chill."

"Super chill?" Kie questioned, a smile still on her lips.

"Yeah," Kayanna replied, ready for the conversation to be over. When Kie continued staring at Kayanna expectantly, Kayanna continued, "They're cool. I mean, I still don't really know them, but they seem nice."

"They are." She smiled. "I'm sorry John B is being such a dick. I think he's just scared to let someone new into our group. I guess he doesn't want anything to change." She spoke, her thoughts spilling out. She spoke of John B almost... sympathetically. Kay remembered Kie telling her about Big John going missing a few months ago. She wondered if Kie's sympathy had anything to do with that.

"That's understandable," Kay spoke. Change was something Kay was all too familiar with. She could relate to John B's apparent hate for change. She would do anything to have something permanent.  So far Kie had been the most permanent thing in her life. Kie glanced at her empathetic friend with soft eyes.