𝟹𝟶 ❁ 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝'𝚜 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚜𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍

"How did I get stuck with this job anyways?" JJ asked as the teens climbed out of the van.

"Because you're the best liar." Pope replied, a hand on the door of the pawn shop.

Kayanna was the last to climb out of the van. And she did so slowly. Her pain killers were wearing off. She slid the door shut as the group walked towards the shop. "Uh, I'm just gonna stay here." She spoke from behind them. She needed a break from people to clear her head. "We need someone to look out, right?"

"We're not robbing the—" Kie elbowed JJ's side.

"Yeah, good thinking." She said, gesturing for the rest of the group to head inside. Thank God for Kiara. Kayanna felt relieved as the group headed inside.

"I'll look out, too." Pope said, as he held the door for the teens.

And just like that, the relief vanished. "Is that okay?" He asked when Kayanna didn't acknowledge his words.

"Whatever." She mumbled.

She decided not to care. Not caring wasn't usually easy, but when you're physically and emotionally exhausted, it gets a little easier. Her shoulders slumped as she made her way to the brick wall of the shop and sat down.

Pope soon released the door and followed suit, sitting a few feet away from her. Although Kayanna wished she could be alone, she was thankful for his silence.

"So... why do you wanna leave the gold?"

Never mind.

Kayanna turned her head to look at him, a "are you serious" mixed with "dont fuck with me right now" look on her face. Like she was gonna tell him. Did he really think she would tell him anything after he told John B?

She turned her head back to the road, doing her best to ignore the overwhelming feeling of betrayal she felt every time she looked at him.

"I guess because I'm selfish." She shrugged nonchalantly, but her expression remained blank.

Pope's heart sank. He was definitely a dumbass for saying that. "Kayanna..."

"What?" Her eyes snapped to his.

Her blank expression left him at a loss for words. "I shouldn't have said that..." He started. "I was just... jealous... and... I thought you..." he looked away from her, trying to find the right words. "I didn't mean it. It's not true."

Kayanna was silent. Although his words had been hurtful, her present and most painful hurt, was the fact that he told John B about Ward. Her eyes drifted back to the road. She'd trusted him. How much had he told him? Just that he was her dad? Or that he killed her mom? That she was there? Why did he do that when she specifically asked him not to?

"You said you wouldn't tell." Her voice was so soft, Pope almost didn't hear her.

He stared at the girl next to him, engulfed in regret. "I didn't mean to. I promise. Last night, there was just— blood all over the place— and I— was thinking out loud and— I just— it slipped out. I promise I didn't mean to." He stared at Kayanna, but she didn't meet his gaze. "I'm sorry."

Kayanna closed her eyes, trying to stop the tears from coming again. She didn't dare speak. If she did she would definitely cry again. She didn't want to cry again. It made her feel weak. Pope had already seen her crying once today and she didn't want it to happen again. But at the same time she wanted to turn to him and let it all out. She wanted to forgive him. She wanted to hug him. She wanted to fall apart in his arms. She wanted to tell him what happened that morning. How Ward had cornered her. How he threatened her. How scared she was. But she couldn't say anything. Her throat had a dry lump in it, preventing her from speaking.