𝟼 ❁ 𝚜𝚑𝚢 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚋𝚕𝚎𝚖𝚜

warning • mention of self harm

"I'm calling it off," John B spoke. The group had met up and were hanging around outside. "Peterkin said if I stay out of the marsh she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?"

"Yes I believed her, JJ."

"An actual cop, John B, you believed a cop." JJ said disappointed.

"All I gotta do is stay outta the marsh for a couple days and she'll help me out," John B answered getting frustrated. Kay understood why he would want Peterkin's help. She would have done anything to stay out of foster care. "It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

Kay looked at her hands, fiddling with her bracelets and biting her lip. She had begun wearing them to cover the scars from where she'd been cutting in the past months. She'd been trying to feel something. Something besides than the pain inside of her. Anything else. It didn't help much, only for a few moments. Jamie, from her most recent home had helped her to stop cutting. He held her accountable, in a way, and checked on her. She still wore the bracelets to cover the scars. She didn't want anyone to look at her differently or bring it up. Now she had grown used to wearing them and she used them to have something to do with her hands when she felt anxious.

"You know what I should've done, man? I should've just let topper drown your ass."

"He wasn't gonna drown me." John B shook his head. "Besides, Kayanna had it under control until you stepped in." Whether John B was avoiding eye contact with Kay or he was just too busy staring at JJ, she didn't know. He hadn't spoken to her at all, but he hadn't glared at her either, or acted upset when she had shown up with Kie.

Progress.

"Kayanna had it under control?" JJ moved closer to John B, "She was barely with it last night—"

'Because of you!" Pope joined the conversation. "Your pulling the gun did that!" Kayanna's eyes that had shot up at the mention of her name trailed back down to her hands that still fiddled with her bracelet.

JJ shook his head, "They just always win don't they, man. Kooks versus Pogues, they always, always win." He spoke, getting worked up.

"It's okay!" Kie spoke, trying to calm him down.

"No it's not okay. It is not. They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down, there and you know it." JJ pointed an accusatory finger at John B. "I know you do. And I understand why you don't wanna go," JJ looked at Pope, "You're the golden boy, you got way too much to risk. And you," He turned to Kie. "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway, why would you bother?" He glanced at Kay unsure of what to say. He didn't know much about her situation other than: She lived in a rich ass house and she was completely alone, with technically no money at all. He looked back to John B, deciding against saying anything, "But you and me, man, we've got nothing to lose! We really don't, alright? And I know it didn't used to be that for you,"

"I don't wanna talk about this." John B began walking away, "I don't wanna talk about it."

"John B, listen to me, I have a plan." JJ began, following John B. "You've got a key to the Cameron's big boat, right? There's scuba gear. We borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's going to save you, man." JJ spoke convincingly.
"You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"

• ❁ •

"Wait right here." Kie told Kayanna, leaving her at the counter of her family's restaurant, called "The Wreck". Apparently, Kie thought Kayanna would be good at serving and dealing with the public on a regular basis. Kay did not. She was desperate, though, and what job wouldn't make her deal with the public?

Kayanna sighed. Shy people problems.

She leaned on the counter and looked around. The restaurant had a few customers around enjoying their food or reading a menu. The soft chatter and light air made the the place feel welcoming. It seemed to be filled with an undeniable genuine spirit. Although,  Kay had been anxious to come here, her anxiety seemed to fade slightly at the homey feeling surrounding her.

"Oh my God, you're such a dumbass," Kayanna heard from the door behind her, pushing any happy vibe thoughts out of her head.

"Honestly, this man's really freaking out over the littlest shit," Kayanna glanced around her shoulder to see three boys coming through the door, one very familiar. "Completely pussy whipped." Two of them laughed, teasing the other.

"Heyy, who's this?" The first one spoke, looking at Kay. She could feel her nerves coming on again, her hands tingling and her foot bouncing up and down on the floor.

Kay looked at the boy, and then to the familiar boy who stood slightly behind him. "Uh, hey guys let's just go sit down," he told his friends. They must not have cared much about who Kay was because they changed their destination quickly, finding a table to their liking. Kelce stayed behind though.

"Hey," he spoke to Kayanna, joining her at the counter. "How's it going? I didn't see you today."

Kayanna shrugged, "I've just been hanging with Kie mostly. She's trying to get me a job here." Kay gestured to the door Kie had disappeared behind.

Kelce nodded, "Yeah that's good. I'm glad you get to see her again." He stopped looking back at his friends who didn't seem to notice his absence. "Just be careful." Kay's confused expression pressed him to continue, "Just, ya know Kie hangs out with Pogues. And... ya know they can be trouble. I don't want you to get in trouble... or get hurt, again." He said finally looking at her eyes, "Just be careful, okay?"

Although Kay felt the need to stick up for Kie's friends and tell him that they weren't trouble, that they were just normal people who weren't as lucky to be born into money, she stopped herself. Kelce had been brainwashed. Just like all the other Kooks Kie had told her so much about. For that reason and to avoid an unnecessary argument, she answered, "I will." She smiled softly. At least he cared enough to warn her about something he thought was a danger.

"Alright," he smiled, "I'll see you later."

Kay mumbled a small "see ya" as Kelce patted her back softly (and awkwardly), and walked back to his friends.

"Who is that?" One of the boys at the table asked. Kayanna could hear his smirk.

"Man, I told you she's staying with me and my mom," She heard Kelce speak. The boy must have implied something, quietly because Kelce spoke again, "Nah, dude, she's like my sister, relax."

Kay felt herself smile before Kie finally emerged from the door she'd disappeared behind.

"He said no," Kie let out a groan. "'wE're alReAdY oVerStAfFed'" she mocked her dad. "I'm so sorry. I really tried."

Kay felt almost relieved, "it's okay," she smiled. "I'll find somewhere else."

Kie thought while the two walked back to her car. "I might have one more idea," she said, hope resurfacing in her eyes. "Let's go find Pope."

• ❁ •

A/n:
this chapter took me so long bc I kept changing my mind about EVERYTHING. Like idek why but I'd write it all out and then be like ew no. It didn't help that my sister and her family are moving and I'm helping her pack all week.
I prefer to write alone and it's kinda hard with a two year old and my sister who acts like a two year old around all day lmao jkjkjk
Anywayssss I'm still planning to get a chapter out every day and so far so good👍👍

peace<3