Chapter Two: The Pace's House | Part 2

Matthew ran at lightning speed towards the same attic vent again before the two-legged, claw-equipped hybrid could catch him. Just in time, he thought to himself. He crawled back underneath the vent and slid back down to the ground floor. While walking towards the kitchen, he noticed a door underneath the main staircase. He opened it gently as he would always do and looked inside.

It was yet another stairway to a basement. Matthew then trudged his way down briefly after closing the door and saw two more doors. Like the attic, the whole basement was full of stale air and covered in cobwebs and mould.

Matthew then noticed an unlocked safe. He pulled it open, revealing inside it a small piece of paper with a passcode. It read "1-5-6-2" on a couché paper card with the words "Yael Technologies" printed in a small font at the top of the card. He memorised the numbers and walked back into the main basement.

All of a sudden, a loud series of clanking noises rebounded around the basement. Matthew turned his head to see a broken door sliding down the stairway. Then, thumping sounds came. It's here, he thought. He crouched underneath the table and laid flat. He quickly grabbed the vase of dead plants on the table and hid it under the table with him.

The boar walked over, closer and closer to the table. It definitely noticed the missing vase.

Thus, Matthew discreetly stretched his hand out, the vase extending out from the table with his hand. With much force, he slammed it against the boar's feet. Matthew managed to push himself out of the table just before the boar tripped and crushed the table and vase, breaking them into uncountable splintered bits and pieces. He sprinted up the stairway, out of the haunted basement and away from the vicious monster.

He looked at the main door once again, rushing over to unlock the digital lock. 1-5-6-2, the numbers spoke in his head. Translating his memory into actions, he pressed the numbers on the keypad. It was a success that he was close to celebrating out loud. Then again, the thumping sounds of the violent creature reminded him to keep focused on his task and to avoid any unnecessary distractions that could slow him.

He ran back up to the attic and carefully crossed over to the other side again. He suddenly recalled the other room right in front of him. And so, he pulled open the door and saw another hardware table full of items. To his dismay, most of the items weren't able to serve much of a purpose to him.

Several blocks, made of wood and brick, were stacked neatly on the table. Matthew wasn't sure why they were there, but it wasn't essential to know. The one thing that caught his attention was the sole useful tool on the table—the hammer. He quickly snatched it, knowing that it would be helpful in removing the wooden boards off from the main door.

And just as Matthew was getting "lucky", something was about to shatter his success. The environment was so conducive for him to work on his plan that he thought nothing could go any further south at that point. There was no creaking or thumping. There was no door slamming. And there was no other sign of the creature nearby. Yet.

A slam on the wall a few seconds later marked the beginning of his potential downfall.

The lights suddenly went out abruptly after the bulbs were smashed. A final crackle was heard from the short-circuited lighting system as the room darkened. And Matthew instantly knew what was in the room with him.

Its monstrous figure dominated the room as the shadow fell on Matthew in the dim twilight. With additional shrieks and roars, the shadow of a giant monster frightened the life out of Matthew.

In the shadows, the silhouette of a bat returned. It levitated higher up every second that passed. Matthew knew he was going to get knocked out once again if he weren't to do anything. But instead, there was a snapping sound. It came from the tearing of the blind holders. Now it was total darkness. The red eyes of the creature seemed to glow in the dark now.