Chapter Seven: The Protection Programme | Part 1

Megan's eyes fluttered open slowly. The first thing she saw was the light fixture above her bed. She raised her arm weakly, shielding her tired eyes from the blinding light above her. She groaned as she found it hard to sit up.

"Whoa, whoa. Megan, don't get up," Matthew said as he stopped the injured detective from causing more unnecessary harm to herself.

"W-what happened?" she said, rolling her stiff shoulders. She rubbed her head in a circular motion before realising that a bandage was wrapped around her scalp.

"Jake left a bomb in the museum as a last resort to kill us, remember?" Matthew reminded her. "The building exploded, and the back of it collapsed. You were the last to get out, so some debris had fallen on you. Thank goodness you're okay."

Emma, who had gone to get coffee for herself and Matthew, rushed over as soon as she saw Megan conscious. "Megan! I was so worried about you! You... you didn't wake up for the past five days..."

Megan smiled. "Don't worry about me. I feel all right now," she reassured Emma. "By the way," she added. "Where's Daniel?"

"Oh. He went back to the precinct to settle some things regarding... you know. I mean, with the captain dead and all, not to mention his suspicions regarding the unknown organisation that seems to have something to do with the assassination attempts on us. Apparently, The organisation is 'Yael Technologies Corporation', which specialises in digitalisation and all that stuff," Matthew answered.

"So how does an enterprise like that got to do with this... attempt to assassinate us?" Megan questioned, puzzled.

"That's what I'm not sure about. They're known for their advancement in technology, and they have a subsidiary called 'Yael Biology', Matthew continued.

"And..." Megan trailed off, trying to connect 'Yael Biology' with their situation.

"And Daniel suspects that they may be the cause of those creatures that we've encountered," Matthew sighed. "He found that they do have tests in their off-limit laboratories, but he doesn't have any solid evidence that they are the ones responsible for releasing the creatures. Plus, we need evidence for a search warrant to investigate their headquarters.

"For now, Yael has denied all the claims in a press conference. Not to mention, the public is just siding with them rather than the police," Emma said, entering the lengthy conversation once more.

"Okay, I know this is going to be shocking, but... in a few weeks, we'll be heading to court," Matthew sighed.

Megan pushed herself up from the bed, sitting up as her eyes widened instantaneously. "C-court? For what?"

"As you know, Daniel is one persistent man," Matthew continued. "He won't stop at anything if he's going to serve justice. And he actually recorded everything Jake had said while and after he dragged me up the staircase. It's on his phone,"

"Anyway, the trial will take place on June 14. I'm not confident we'll win, though," Emma said, staring at the floor hopelessly.

"We're not even ready, and many of our colleagues are doubtful of the evidence and testimony we have," Matthew added to the bad news. "We'll have to prepare to lose this one."

"One more thing..." Emma trailed off, sweating nervously as she was about to announce what she was going to say. "Once you're discharged, we'll be placed in the Witness Protection Programme."

Megan gasped softly. She couldn't believe they were risking their lives at that moment just by being in the hospital, in a public ward.

"We won't talk too much about this for now. We can discuss this when you feel better and are more ready," Emma stopped the dismaying conversation from going on.