Chapter Fifteen: The Flash Drive | Part 1

"Jean!" Matthew yelled as he wielded his pistol, aiming it at the creature that was mercilessly attacking his brother. He ensured that the bullet he was about to unleash wouldn't pierce through the beast and go through Jean too.

Within a second of wielding and aiming the gun, he pulled the trigger multiple times and released the three bullets right into the back of the creature's skull. Groaning in pain, it shrieked loudly before tumbling to the ground.

After confirming that the creature was dead, Matthew, together with his friends, rushed over to help his wounded brother. The pain was so excruciating that Jean had gone numb before he could really feel it. Just as Matthew was about to ask how he was feeling, Jean lost consciousness and slumped down.

"Jean, wake up!" Matthew cried out desperately. "Wake up!" he tried making his brother regain consciousness again, but to no avail. He looked around the room for any bandages or painkillers. After rummaging through the drawers, he managed to find some and thus brought them out.

Matthew attached some bandages over his brother's severe wounds and cuts. The bandages were absorbing the blood quickly, and he soon realised that it wasn't a good idea. He looked around the room for any dry cloths that they could use to soak up the blood and stop the bleeding. "Give him the painkillers!" he commanded Daniel and Megan as he continued his search for a dry towel or cloth.

Eventually, he grabbed a dry hand towel located in a cabinet in the bathroom. He quickly unfolded the towel and rushed over to soak up Jean's blood. Of course, that wouldn't have much effect if he wasn't under the care of an actual medical professional. He was seriously injured and needed medical attention immediately.

"We need to get him to a doctor now. He's already lost too much blood," Megan warned of his condition.

"Matthew and I will carry him down," Daniel suggested to Megan. "You can go ahead of us first and find any medical staff downstairs."

Hence, the trio moved promptly and began their move to find help. Megan quickly ran down the stairway they had come from while Matthew and Daniel carried Jean carefully and slowly. They were lagging behind, but they had to make sure to move steadily, and if it meant sacrificing speed for Jean's wellbeing, they would do it.

Unfortunately, another ear-piercing shriek came from behind. And it wasn't a call for help this time. It was a scream warning of death that was coming after the trio.

Matthew turned briefly, only to see yet another creature charging at them, running from the tower section of the hospital towards them. It was catching up to them quickly, and they didn't have time to go slow and be careful anymore. As such, the two dashed towards the stairway, although they carried Jean as stably as they could.

They rushed down the stairway, hearing Megan's desperate door banging and pleas for help ahead of them. Finally, they caught up with her and watched her continue crying for help.

The door out of the stairway to the third floor opened, but the face that appeared before them wasn't very friendly. The man in front of them stared at them for a few moments without saying a word. After much awkward silence, the man finally spoke.

"Do you have any bites or scratches on your body?" the man asked in a voice full of hoarse.

"No?" Megan asked, appalled that they would even ask when they clearly saw that Jean was injured. "Look, this man hear needs medical attention now—"

"Did you share saliva with, take blood donations from or get involved in sexual activity with anyone who is infected?"

Daniel raised an eyebrow, equally shocked by the man's questions. He then stepped forward to answer the question for Megan, who seemed too confused to speak. "No, we weren't involved in any of the things you mentioned. Can't you see that we have a casualty here? We need a doctor now," he protested.