Chapter Twenty-Three: The Signal | Part 1

"Turn away from me and place your gun down on the floor," the chairwoman ordered.

Matthew, however, refused to do so for a moment. After all, what made her think that holding him to gunpoint would make him stop there? However, he realised that it wasn't rational for him to get himself killed there. As such, he complied and squatted, placing his weapon on the ground.

The chairwoman then brought his gun up as she stepped ahead of Matthew. She kept her own gun in one hand, aiming it at Matthew as she walked sideways. She then tossed Matthew's gun out of the broken window as soon as she arrived at the edge of the building. She walked back and went behind him, keeping her weapon on his back.

"I think I've given you enough chances to live already. You and your dumbass friends ruined my plans enough," the chairwoman said. "I even gave you a golden chance to join us and preserve your own life, but you refused to. And so, you will die today!"

Matthew scoffed, absolutely done with her words. "You pathetic shrew," Matthew insulted her. "I can't believe that you could even get your plans this far with that smooth brain of yours."

Instantly, the chairwoman was offended. And she wasn't going to tolerate Matthew's words anymore. As such, she grabbed him by the shoulders and threw him down to the ground forcefully. She aimed her gun down at him as he groaned in pain, cocking the pistol. "Shut up!" she screamed, her finger ready to pull the trigger.

Despite this, Matthew still smirked. He wasn't afraid to die. He would have still fulfilled his purpose if he were to get shot at that moment. To stop Yael and convict them. "Fine. Kill me," Matthew taunted, still chortling. "But before you do pull the trigger, you should look down at the main road in front of the building."

The chairwoman didn't take his words seriously at first, but after keeping silent and noticing some strange sounds coming from below, she relaxed her finger. She returned to the broken window, still holding the gun at Matthew. She then peered down at the ground level and found patches of blue and red alternating in colours. Sirens accompanied the lights, which meant that she was in deep trouble.

"Damn it!" the chairwoman blared as she walked back to Matthew. She squatted in front of him, putting the gun to his head. She laid her finger on the trigger again, ready to shoot him dead this time. "If I go to hell, then you'll go with me—"

"Drop it, Georgia!" Megan hollered as she brought a revolver up to the chairwoman's head. This time, the chairwoman was in jeopardy, just like Matthew. "I have the legal authority to shoot you and will not hesitate to do it!"

The chairwoman initially resisted Megan's orders. Her gun was still pointed at Matthew, but her finger gradually fell off the trigger. She then tried to turn to face Megan, but Megan stopped her.

"Don't turn around!" Megan yelled as a warning. "Just drop your gun, now," she added in a more patient voice.

However, her patience with the chairwoman wasn't working. The chairwoman remained resistant and didn't want to lower the gun. As such, Megan cocked her weapon, ready to shoot the chairwoman, just like how the chairwoman was ready to shoot Matthew. "Do it!" Megan screamed, losing her patience.

Finally, the chairwoman gave in, dropping her gun to the floor. Megan grabbed the pistol up from the floor before keeping it for herself. She then brought it up and walloped the chairwoman in the head, causing her to black out.

"Are you okay?" Megan questioned Matthew as she got down on her knees to assist him.

"Yes," he groaned as he got up. "I'm fine. I probably just sprained an ankle or something."

"Don't worry about that," Megan reassured him. "We'll all get to a hospital after this. Now, I need you to take a look at this first." She then brought up several documents from her pocket. They were all folded to fit, so she unfolded them so Matthew could read them properly.