Chapter Eight: The Traitor | Part 2

The detectives fled as far as they could. They couldn't even bear to watch the monstrous attack on Madison, nor did they want to watch her get dragged away. Matthew felt so sorry that he did nothing to help, but by the time Madison had turned to look at the creature, she was already a gone case.

The detectives panted heavily and gasped for air. Megan collapsed to the ground, feeling weak and unsteady.

"Megan!" Daniel shrieked as he lifted her to a sitting position. She was still conscious but rather dizzy and faint.

"W-w-water... I need some... water..." she begged as she choked on her thick saliva.

"I'll go get some from your cabin. Matt, stay here with her," Daniel volunteered before rushing off to Megan's cabin.

"Megan... are you okay? Matthew said, patting her shoulder lightly, worried about her dehydrated state.

"I'm... I'm fine. I... I just have low blood... pressure right now... or something," she explained.

"What happened just now must have really traumatised you," Matthew sighed, closing his eyes and continuing to tap her shoulder.

"I think it must have... traumatised you... and Daniel too..." she continued to pant. "But... what I'm terrified of... is that... one..." she trailed off. "That one you is a traitor."

And Daniel had just come back when she made her shocking statement. He instantly dropped the bottles of water onto the ground in appalment. One of them ditched its loose cap, letting the water in it flow freely, watering the drying grass patches.

"D-did she just say..." Daniel stuttered, not finishing his sentence as he stepped back from Matthew and Emma in fear.

"Daniel, calm down. Let's sort this out slowly and calmly—" Matthew tried to convince him, although he continued to panic and cut in abruptly.

"No! Why... why would I want to sort things out when either of you is behind this?" Daniel stressed anxiously.

"Daniel, stop panicking! This isn't right. We are all innocent. Okay? Calm down!" Matthew screamed back, beginning to fret as well. He even started to believe that there was a mole among them and seemed to be calming himself instead of Daniel.

It only made sense that there was a traitor among the trio. Since the manor was locked from the inside, one of the six must have done it. However, the culprit would, at all costs, do everything to stay alive. It couldn't have been Emma, Mason, and Madison, as that would mean that they had made a failed attempt to eradicate all of the detectives successfully if they themselves couldn't stay alive.

All that was left were the three detectives.

"Daniel? Do you... do you really not trust me?" Matthew quivered painfully, the fear and despair of losing his friend's trust seeping into his veins, creeping towards his brain.

"I... maybe I used to. But not anymore," he shuddered, wiping a tear before sprinting away with the two remaining bottles of water, leaving the two to thirst.

Matthew stood in shock, not moving an inch. He watched as Daniel fled from their sight before disappearing into the dark fog. His teeth chattered as his jaw shook uncontrollably.

"Matthew..." Megan groaned. She had fallen back into a lying position on the grass, almost motionless. "Water..." she pleaded as her lips turned pale. She attempted to reach for the toppled bottle of water, although it was far from her grasp.

"Daniel... Daniel seemed genuinely innocent," Matthew stated as he turned to look at Megan, ignoring her cries. "Then..." he paused. "Then it could only be you...."