Chapter One: The Transfer | Part 1

"So, it seems like the Allentown PD needs our help. Crime's getting pretty rampant there," NYPD detective Matthew Blake Davis shared an official crime statistics report to his colleagues: Daniel Washington, Megan Stewart and Emily Anne Watson.

"What is happening to them? I thought there was a recent mass recruitment programme to improve their task force?" Daniel questioned.

Matthew shook his head in dissent. "Remember the scandal back in March? Many of the recruits—even some from the older batches—took bribes from an anonymous figure. They have been caught now, and their force is barely more than half-strength or so."

Megan sighed as she slowly lowered herself onto a stool. The evening traffic noises clouded up a bit of their conversation, but they still sounded coherent. Megan looked through her phone for details about their temporary move to Allentown. "We'll be leaving on May 11, two days from now. The flight's at 7 am. That's it, I guess."

As usual, Emma displayed her typical unresponsive behaviour and continued to scroll through her Instagram feed. She never really found the need to listen to whatever was going on in the conversation anyway.

"All right, see you guys at the airport on Monday morning," Matthew said as the group of friends dispersed.

After much driving and waiting in traffic, Matthew arrived at Columbus Circle. As he parked his car, Matthew grabbed his pouch and water bottle, preparing to step out of the vehicle. As the elevator stopped in the basement just in time for him to catch it, he entered it, waiting to be brought up to his floor.

When the doors slipped open, he rushed out of it, immediately moving towards his apartment because he had finally managed to get home and rest after half a day of work. He extracted his keycard out of his wallet and tapped it on the keycard lock before pushing open the door.

"Uncle!" his niece, Amelia, rejoiced as she dashed over to see her favourite uncle.

"Hey, sweetie!" Matthew grinned as he squatted down and carried her. Matthew looked at his mother and nodded. "Thanks for taking care of her, Mum."

His mother flapped down her hand. "No problem, son. I'll be back on Monday," she said, grabbing her purse as she got ready to leave.

"Actually... I'll need you to be here again for the whole of next week. Either that or I'll have to send Amelia to your place," Matthew scratched his head, feeling bad that he had to inconvenience his mother again.

His mother pursed her lips and tilted her head to the side as if she were saying, "All right then," in a reluctant manner.

"Everyone's playing the "hot potato" game with Amelia, huh? Jean had a business trip, and now you have a business trip," she mentioned in an attempt to guilt-trip Matthew a little.

"Sorry, Mother. Allentown PD needs us. I really wished Angel were still around. She... she was really good with children," Matthew exhaled woefully.

"It's all right, son. I'm sure you also do a great job of taking care of little Amy, just as Angelica would. Anyway, I'll still come over as usual on Monday," his mother heaved a sigh before leaving Matthew's apartment.

Matthew carried Amelia onto her bed. "Amy, I'm sorry that I need to be away next week. I'm leaving next Monday, and I will be back on Friday, okay? Your father will be back on Sunday night to pick you up, so enjoy your weekend stay here with grandma."

Amelia nodded her head, her smile still as pleased as ever. "Okay, uncle," she replied, grinning as she always did.

Matthew tucked her into her blanket and switched off her bedside lamp. "Good night," he whispered before walking out of her room. He then brought out fresh pyjamas from his closet and a towel as he headed to the bathroom for a shower. After freshening himself up, he put on his comfortable nightclothes and prepared for bed. Before sleeping, he would typically read a book for half an hour.