Chapter 2

It was complete and utter chaos. Harry was screaming, Lily was sobbing, James was shouting and Sirius was breaking things.

In a final act of destruction, Sirius kicked one of the yellow kitchen chairs sending it flying into the wall. His usually sleek mane of hair was disheveled and flying out in different directions.

Lily held her head in her hands. She was leaning against the counter, her face was wet with tears and they were trailing between her fingers and down her forearms.

James was breathing heavily, his face pink. "You done?" He panted at Sirius.

Sirius just sniffed and rubbed his brow. He was fighting tears. "She's gone?"

James stared at his friend's broken features and nodded. "They got her whole family."

Sirius took the seat he had sent flying and righted it. He then collapsed into it, defeated.

"I never told her," He whispered. "She was always a better beater than I was."

Lily looked at him. Not even attempting to clear her fair face of the snot and tears she said, "She knew. Marlene knew."

James picked up Harry and was now calming his young son.

"It's not fair!' Sirius cried. "She shouldn't be dead!"

"They went to her house," James said softly. "There wasn't even a secret keeper. They were completely unprotected."

Sirius looked up at Lily with a fierce intensity. "When did it happen?"

Lily looked pained. She didn't want to answer.

"Lily-flower," Sirius begged. "Please."

She bit her lip before answering, "Four nights ago."

Lily's body convulsed with a fresh wave of tears. The couple had expected Sirius to get angry again but he looked broken.

"It's my fault." His voice was haunted and horrified.

James jumped in quickly. "No, it's not."

"That mission was my idea!" Sirius shouted. "They followed her home! Now Marlene McKinnon is dead! Murdered in her own bedroom."

Lily covered her mouth to muffle her cries. James buried his face in Harry's shoulder.

"Does Rem know?" Sirius asked quietly.

"Not yet," Lily answered her voice thick. "He's still undercover. Alice and Mary are planning the funeral."

"And Peter?" Sirius plowed on.

"He's the one who told us," James answered.

Sirius stood suddenly. "Fuck this!" He started to walk out of the kitchen. "I'm going to find whoever did it and kill them!"

"You will do no such thing!" Lily screamed blocking the doorway with her body. "We are not losing anyone else!"