Chapter 8

Remus Lupin arrived with a flash of green upon Albus Dumbledore's hearth rug at four o'clock in the afternoon.

"Ah," Dumbledore said putting down his book. "I was expecting you to pay me a visit today, Remus. But I must inform you that showing up announced in a person's study is rather rude."

Remus just stared at the man from the spot he had landed. "Please." He whispered.

"I have already taken Harry to his Aunt's home. There he will be safe." Dumbledore said softly.

Then Remus began to cry. "Lily- Lily and James, they were going to update their will, custody was supposed to go to Sirius before he killed Peter. Then Harry was supposed to go to me! Albus please!"

"Remus, he a just a baby, he needs-"

"Don't tell me what he needs!" Remus snapped. "I have been with Harry since day one! I was there when they told us Lily was pregnant, I was there the second Harry was born! For the past year, that baby boy hasn't just had Lily and James. I was there, Peter was there, and Sirius was there! I am more of a parent to him then those muggles could ever be!"

"I understand you are upset with me, but, you have just experienced a tragic loss," Dumbledore said not even fazed.

"Those people hate everything to do with magic! They tried to bar Lily from her own parents' own funeral because she was a witch! Harry will not be loved in that home!" Remus' face was red with rage and his eyes were still swollen from the funeral he had left an hour ago. "Please, Albus! I'm begging you. Harry isn't just James' son to me. Harry is my son!"

"I'm sorry Remus but I cannot give you custody."

Remus looked enraged as he wiped his face. "If he even makes it to Hogwarts in ten years, all the mistreatment he went through is going to be your fault!"

"I fully take responsibility for that," Dumbledore responded his voice almost bored. "My reasons to keep Harry with his only living family are beyond your understanding."

Remus put his head in his hands. "Fine!" He shouted. "I'll get him myself!"

Then before Dumbledore could respond Remus had already gone from the office. But the second he apparated to the corner of Harry's new home Remus knew he could not go inside. So he turned and walked down the street, the last piece of his heart, breaking.