Chapter 5

December 23rd, 1996

"You're not alone!" Dora shouted desperately.

"I am," Remus shot back. "Two of my best friends died fifteen years ago! Peter could have died that night for all I care. He's a bloody traitor. Don't even get me started on Sirius! I just got him back!! He was the only one I had left, and now he's dead, just like the rest of them. So yes, Dora, I am alone."

"But what about me?" She demanded. Tears were threatening to spill from her eyes. "Remus, I'm still here. I'm ready to be there for you. You've just got to let me in!"

"You are young and you have your whole life ahead of you! Don't waste it on some old werewolf!" Remus argued.

"I'm sick of saying that none of that matters to me! Remus, I don't care about any of that! I want you! Let me love you. Please!"

"It would never work, Dora. There are too many things standing in our way."

"There is nothing in our way!" She cried.

"Then you're too blind to see them!" Remus bellowed.

Both their eyes widened as they looked towards the dark stairwell of the Burrow. It was the early hours of the morning, no one was awake yet. But Christmas was near so the children who were all home from Hogwarts' sleep would be fitful.

Remus spoke again this time much quieter and much calmer. "What happened between us last year was a mistake."

"It was not a mistake." Dora seethed. "We love each other. You said so yourself."

"Everything is different now," Remus said softly.

"But that doesn't mean we can't be together," Dora whispered drawing closer to him.

Remus took many steps backward. Away from her. He whispered, "Yes it does."