Chapter 12

A look of discomfort crossed Lily's face as she laid her fork across her half-eaten plate of food.

"You okay, Lily?" Peter asked looking at her.

"Yeah," Lily responded, half-heartedly. "I'm just worried about James, that's all."

"Evans," Sirius drawled, "Prongs is with Frank, Alice, and Fabian. He's fine."

"It's Potter, not Evans," Lily grinned cheekily. "Are you done?" Before the boys could answer Lily stacked all of their plates on top of one another and walked them over to the sink.

"Here, Lily let me help-" Remus began to stand but she waved him off.

"Just because I'mpregnat that doesn't make me helpless," She scoffed.  "Do you guys want tea?" 

They all nodded as Lily put the kettle on.

"When is the baby due?" Sirius questioned as he leaned back in his chair.

"Well, they were supposed to be born five days ago, so really any day now," Lily answered pulling out mugs.

"Merlin," Peter muttered under his breath. "I do not want to be here when she has the baby."

"Haha, Pete," Lily laughed dryly. "The only person I want here when this baby comes out is James."

As Lily walked to a cabinet to retrieve some of the tea, she stopped gripping the counter tightly. She let out a moan of pain as she bent over herself.

The boys' heads snapped up to see Lily breathing quickly. "Lily, is something wrong?" Remus questioned.

"No, nothing's wrong." Lily sighed as she straightened up again. "I just- ahhHHH!"

Remus, Sirius, and Peter all jumped to their feet knocking their chairs over in the process.

"Okay," Lily huffed out. "So I guess I'm going into labor now."

Sirius and Remus looked at each other eyes wide with fright and Peter look faint.

"It's no big deal." Lily continued. "We can wait a little bit."

"I'll get a bag," Peter said. He made beeline for the doorway.

Lily got the there faster than him, somehow. "No! We don't go anywhere until James gets home!"

"Are you mad?" Sirius cried looking on edge. "None of us are going to know what to do if that baby comes shooting out of you!"

"Well, I can't have this baby! Not now!" Lily gasped, her eyes were wide and it looked as if she were on the verge of tears.

"Lily," Remus started walking towards her. "Lily! We need to take you to the hospital, James or no James this baby is coming now. You need to be safe during the birth. So we need to get to Saint Mungo's Immediately."

"Yeah," Lily nodded looking very pale off of a sudden. "Yeah. Okay. Let's do that."

In a flurry of activity, Peter and Sirius ran from the kitchen collecting all of the items they thought Lily would need in a bag. Remus helped her into a traveling cloak and they hobbled to the front door. There was lots of shouting as cries of pain as Lily's contractions grew steadily worse.

Sirius and Peter were scrambling to put on their shoes when the door swung open to reveal a very exhausted looking James.

He shook his head startled at the absolute chaos in the front hall. "What's happening?"

"SHES IN LABOR!"

That's when James went unconscious.