Chapter 2 - KAT

The nurses wheeled him to the nearest free bed, and we lifted him and laid him down. A number of other men had followed him in, watching him and watching me, but I took no notice of them, I had a man whose shoulder was bleeding, I had no time for observations. A nurse had found out what had happened, and he told me it was a stab wound. London and its fucking knife crime I swear. Again, I had no time to think about any of that.

"Can you get Adam please," I said calmly.

Firstly, I needed to stabilise the bleeding. I removed the cloth to see what I was dealing with. Luckily the bleeding was not spurting out with every heartbeat, meaning it was from a vein or many capillaries, and not an artery. This was good. In the shoulder there are loads of huge arteries and piercing any of these can be fatal if not treated quickly, and sometimes even if treated quickly.

Another lucky thing was it was not that deep, I could see the bottom of the stab wound, and noted that none of the knife had snapped off and was still lodged in there. The team and I worked quickly to put him on an IV drip and put an oxygen mask over him.

"He needs to go into surgery now," I said, talking to both the nurses and the men who had followed him in. The men nodded, and as we wheeled him away, started to follow, stopped by one of my colleagues.

The trauma operating theatres were close to the Emergency department, for this exact reason, so we quickly got in there.

One of the anaesthetists, a friend called Laura, started to inject the area surrounding the wound with local anaesthetic, and put a number of various sticky dots on his, now bare, chest, to monitor all manner of things, like heartbeat, oxygen percentage, blood pressure and more. I was getting into my surgical gear, which was more sterile.

I was still learning and was in my training years, specialising in trauma surgery, after many years at university. Usually, I would be helped by a doctor that was more specialised, however, with a simple wound like this I did not need to bother them.

Through the doors came Adam, who would be helping me on this surgery. After stopping the bleeding, we washed the wound out, to get rid of any dirt or bacteria that had got into the wound. I gave a bit more of a thorough investigation to the wound just to make sure there was definitely nothing left in the wound, and we performed a quick X-ray, to double check. Then I started to sew the wound up. Once all patched up, I put a large bandage over the wound, and breathed.

He began to stir and opened his eyes. He jolted upright, but I put a hand on his other shoulder to push him down.

"Please sir, no sudden movements, I don't want you to loosen your stitches," I said. He looked up at me, his eyes showing anger, but vulnerability at the same time.

He was wheeled out of the room, back to his bed in the Emergency department.

I quickly got out of my surgical gear, and headed down to see him.

I wasn't much longer after he had arrived, and there was definitely a look of relief over all of the men's faces as he arrived, awake, and in one piece. Well, one piece with a bit of a cut in it. After the initial relief they all looked angry, there were many angry phone calls in a different language, Italian maybe, but I had no idea. I had to deal with some other patients, often walking up and down the corridor of beds. Most of the curtains that separate the beds were open, but the curtains for his bed were closed.

I went up to where his bed was and announced myself.

"Hi, I'm Dr Mendez, is it okay if I come in?" I asked.

"Yes," answered a man's voice. I pulled back the curtain and slipped in and could feel the five pairs of eyes on me. There were a couple of looks between various of the men, but I had no idea what they meant.

"You were very lucky Mr Arcaro; the knife didn't hit any of your major blood vessels, and it was a simple job. I washed it out, stitched it up and put a bandage on. We have taken you off the IV drip, but I have prescribed you some antibiotics, just to make sure it does not get infected. You can collect them from the chemist in the hospital," they all listened to my every word, him especially, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Other than that, I am happy to discharge you now, but please try and stay away from knives in future, next time you may not be so lucky, so just easier to make sure there is no next time." I tried to make a little joke at the end, as the atmosphere was so serious and uncomfortable, but I may have just made it worse.

"You will need your bandages changed often, and sutures need to be removed in 10-14 days, you can book an appointment at the front desk or in another hospital, wherever is easiest for you. Take care Mr Arcaro, and friends." I nodded at them, and they all nodded back at me, partly nodding because they were showing their understanding, and partly out of thanks. As I turned to leave, I heard him weakly say "Thank you,".

I turned back around, "don't mention it, just my job," I said, my stomach fluttering for some reason, eager to just leave and breathe properly. I slipped out of the curtain and went over to see Adam and Laura, sitting at one of the desks.

"Is the hottie okay?" asked Laura, chuckling.

"Oi," I said, lightly hitting her. Before then I had never really stopped and thought about his face, but he was an attractive, yet scary, man. He had bright green eyes that bore holes into me whenever he looked at me, and messy, dark brown hair. He had sharp cheekbones, like kissing him on the cheek would cut your lips, and a sharp jawline too. His nose looked like it had been broken, as it was slightly crooked, and he had a scar running vertically through his right eyebrow, causing there to be a visible slit in his eyebrow as no hair grew in the scar. His body was ripped beyond belief, and he had tattoos dotted all over his body. He was sexy, in every sense of the word.

"What's with the entourage?" asked Adam, indicating to them as the group made their way to the exit. I locked eyes with him again, before I broke it off and turned back to Adam.

"Not a clue, family?" I suggested.

"Bet he's part of some gang," laughed Laura. We laughed it off, gang members don't come into hospitals for stab wounds, at least the rich ones don't, they go to private hospitals or they have personal surgeons. He was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time.

================================================================================

Hey guys! Please vote and comment I would LOVE to hear your thoughts! Also, follow me for updates!

Ooooo a hot boy, watching her, involved in the Italian mafia, I wonder what could happen next!!

Hope you are all staying safe in lockdown! <3