Chapter 23 - KAT/ENZO

KAT'S POV

My throat fucking killed. My lungs felt like they were on fire, and I wanted to scream in pain, but no words were coming out of my mouth. How could I be so careless as to not tell David I was allergic to nuts? I literally told everyone. Every single meal that was put in front of me I would ask, 'does it have nuts in?', but I guess I have just been careless recently.

What I couldn't understand was why Enzo was there at the ice cream shop too. I bet he was on another date with his girlfriend, although, I didn't really care. David was kind, our conversations flowed, and although the ending of the date was a bit dramatic, I wouldn't forget it. There was no spark though, when he leant into kiss me, I felt nothing, it was like kissing... I don't know, but I know there was no spark. He was nice, and he was kind, but that was it. Maybe I just had to give it time. My parents met and instantly knew they were in love, but I know people who felt no spark too, and then got married and had kids. Was that because they just drifted along into marriage though, still with no spark, or did they find a spark? That I couldn't tell you about. Jack was gorgeous too, and we had some kind of a spark, to be honest, most of the time I was awestruck he wanted to be with me. I guess he knew how to fake it though, he probably had sparks with every girl he cheated on me with too. Fuck Jack.

I knew I was in a hospital bed immediately, the gown, the sheets, the sides of the bed. I had changed enough hospital sheets to know how they felt when I was training. I slowly opened my eyes, but I was exhausted. I looked to my right instinctively, I guess because I always sleep on the right-hand side of the bed, and there was Enzo. Why was Enzo here? I went to pull off my oxygen mask, but a pair of hands stopped me. I turned to see who they belonged to. It was David. Wait, they were both here? I turned back to look at Enzo, who was now staring daggers at David, and he promptly removed his hands. I continued pulling off my oxygen mask.

"Hi," I spoke, my voice croaky. It hurt so much to speak. Both boys said hi back at the same time, with Enzo staring more daggers at David. For some reason, I felt like I was addressing Enzo, but I couldn't be sure. All I had the energy to do was smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENZO'S POV

She looked at me first. Ha. Take that David, twat.

She needed to be in the hospital another four hours after waking up, for observations. Lucky for me, David had to go on shift two hours after she woke up, so I had two precious hours all to myself, partially. Antonio, Pascal and Stefan came in after a bit, wanting to see her. They all kissed her on the cheek and took a seat.

Another bonus was she lived at MY house, and I could turn David away from her at every opportunity. He was dead tomorrow anyway.

Ugh. I was probably overreacting about killing David. I couldn't be selfish with Katarina, and I couldn't hold her captive. If she wanted to be with David, or any other man, it wasn't my place to kill them, especially when I can't even grow the balls to ask her out myself. I knew Antonio was right, the reason she went out with him and not me was because he actually asked her out, whilst I did everything in my power to make myself unavailable.

After the four observational hours she was discharged from hospital, and we helped her get into a wheelchair, wheeling her to my car that was parked outside. It was easier for her to get into the front seat, and there was more space there than next to me or one of my men, considering how built we were. Usually Antonio drives, I think he prefers it, and I ride in the passenger seat, but I sure as hell wasn't sitting in the back seat next to Stefan and Pascal, those two bozos. Antonio knew already that I would want to drive, and instinctively held the keys out for me before I even had to ask. I drove slowly and carefully home, not wanting the ride to be unpleasant for Katarina, and I looked over at her every so often to make sure she was okay. She looked out of the side window the whole way home. I wonder if she still considers my house a home, I wonder if she is still angry with me.

When we got inside, I carried her upstairs, but wanting to get her into a comfortable bed as soon as possible, as she was already falling asleep in my arms, I lay her in my bed; it was the closest bedroom available. Maybe I just wanted to see her in my bed again, I don't know, but I have the best intentions for her, no matter what. She was already asleep in my arms before I lay her down. I pulled the covers up over her, tucked her in, and gave her a kiss on the forehead. I swear I saw the corners of her lips pull up into a smile, but maybe that was just my imagination, what I wanted to see. I closed the curtains, turned off the light, and left the room.

Dante was in my office, holding a big red file, and I knew already it was her medical records. I scanned through them, vaccinations from when she was younger, and some from when she was going abroad to Vietnam. She had chickenpox at six years old. She was diagnosed asthma, but only mild at least. When she was 8, she went into the Emergency Department with a broken wrist and broke it again when she was 14, same place. Diagnosed with a severe nut allergy at seven, and mild allergies to horses and cats at the same time. She had been on birth control since she was sixteen, interesting, I smirked. Everything else was rather normal, various infections needing antibiotics, she was on antidepressants for two years up until three months before I first saw her in London. I thanked Dante, who took the file and locked it in my file cabinet, and I sat back in my chair. A loud knock on my door was from Pascal, who entered looking rather nervous.

"Pascal, what is it?" I asked.

"Two people are at the gates, neither one you want to see," he anticipated my reaction. I knew instantly who it would be.

"David and Natale?" Pascal nodded.

"Tell David to fuck off. I'm also calling off his murder for tomorrow. Let Natale in, I need to speak to her."

"I never put in the order for his murder," replied Dante. They knew I was making a rash decision; I knew it too. It wasn't my place to kill her date.

After about ten minutes, there was a harsh knock at the door, and in entered Natale. She looked like she was on the warpath.

"Did you forget we were supposed to go to dinner tonight?" she yelled. I couldn't be bothered to argue about petty shit with her right now. I was tired.

"Was it that British slag? I swear to God Enzo, if it was that British slag I will slap you so hard-" she stopped speaking when I pulled my gun out of my waistband, laying it on the table.

"Please, Natale, I don't want to argue, I cannot be bothered, sit down and have a civil conversation with me, or never have another conversation again."

"Enzo-" I held my hand up to her, to shut her up.

"It is Don Lorenzo to you." She looked hurt.

"Why?"

"Look, Natale, we have had a fun couple of weeks together, I didn't think anything would start with us again, but I was bored. I know you only care for my status and my money, and the attention you get from being the Don's girl, but I am finally putting an end to it."

"Enzo... Don Lorenzo, I don't understand."

"Don't play the game of crocodile tears with me, we had the same selfish intentions for eachother, and I no longer wish to continue. But we can continue to be civil with eachother, I will still help you if you are ever in a dangerous situation though."

We talked for a bit, about everything, but it ended rather civilly, which I was glad about. We shook hands, and I walked her back to her car, waving her off.

As the gate opened for her to exit, I noticed David's car was still outside. Can he just fuck off already?

"Do not, under any circumstances, allow David Pondras in my house," I set out plainly to Dante, who would spread the message, "if he gets in, escort him out, with force if necessary, but if he, a random Dr, gets in, I want the defences increased tenfold. Increase the defences threefold anyway."

===========================================================================

Thank you so much for reading! It means so much!!

There is a tonnnneeeee of tension in this one! If you were in that hospital room you could probably cut that tension with a knife!!

Hope you are all staying safe in lockdown! <3