Finale

Naraku was finally gone from this world. Peace had somewhat returned to the land and life continues on. I sat on a rock in a clearing over looking the village Inuyasha and his friends were celebrating. Kagome was gone from this world after that battle. I heard rumors saying that the well mysteriously doesn't work anymore. I smiled seeing Sango slap Miroku when he seemed to be flirting with one of the village girls.

"You won't be joining?" My smile dropped, and I turned seeing Kaede standing there.

"I wasn't involved in the fight. This is their victory." I mumbled. "Also, sorry for your loss. Again." I said as she slowly sat next to me.

"You're a nice girl." she said to me and I smiled, looking down at the ground beneath me.

"Should I find that insulting I wonder.."' I sighed.

"I remember you. When Inuyasha first showed up, you were around." she said.

".. I try not to think of that day." I mumbled.

"I feel the need to apologize to you." she told me.

"What for? Not like you did anything wrong." I said glancing at her.

"After you had left, we tended to the injured. The ones who passed were buried." she told me. "We were at fault for the attack, you retaliated in defense." she continued. "We all knew that, and we knew the risks when we planned that attack."

"You don't have to keep talking. I know what happens." I mumbled.

".. No you don't. My sister Kikyo felt the same, as did Inuyasha. My sister was angry at the villagers. Inuyasha was worried about you. But.. Kikyo had to consider her role. Even if what you did was in self defense, you were a demon who killed human villagers." Kaede said and I stared at her. "Inuyasha and Kikyo didn't want to cause you more harm, and the villagers who had lost their family members might try get their revenge and get themselves killed, so Kikyo came up with an idea." she paused, "And Inuyasha agreed to it."

"To steal my star ball.. and force me to never go near any human village." I said and she nodded. "That still doesn't explain why Inuyasha ordered me to never go near him." I said, frowning.

"How could he face you? You trusted him with your star ball's location. The most sacred object of your kind, and he stole it and used it against you. If you never saw him again, he thought you wouldn't be reminded of that betrayal." she told me.

I propped my chin in my hand, smiling, "So, you're telling me.. that everything he did.. was to.. protect me?" I asked her.

"In his own stupid way, yes." she said.

"He's always been stupid." I smiled and turned my gaze back towards the village feast. "But, what's done is done. I can't change anything now." I said and stood up.

"Before you go." I turned to her and saw her bowing towards me.

"What's this for?" I asked, helping her sit back up.

"The final attack on Naraku.. you didn't go help. But, I know you were the one who erected all those barriers. You protected all the villages from the miasma that was spreading across the county." she said.

"... I have no idea what you're talking about." I said and walked into the forest.

~~~

I sat on the branch, holding a fishing pole, waiting for a bite. It's been about a month since I head Kaede's story. Inuyasha and I have run into each other a few times, but it's always been awkward. We couldn't be like how we used to be as children, but we couldn't be like how we were recently. 

"Got anything?" I heard a voice.

"Nope." I said, knowing it was Inuyasha. He was standing below me, leaned up against the tree I was standing on. "What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"Just wandering around." he answered.

"I see." I said and dropped the fishing pole and it burned to ashes, disappearing.

I jumped down, and landed gracefully on the ground. We both awkwardly stood there, waiting for the other to speak.

"When I said.. that I loved you..." he started.

"It's fine. I understand, it was a hard time for you." I smiled at him. "I'm over it." I told him.

"I was serious." he said told me. "I do really love you." he told me.

I turned to look at him. "What about Kagome?" I asked him.

He walked closer to me, and I didn't try escape. He stopped in front of me, and wrapped his hand around mine.

"Kagome is also important to me, but the way I feel about her.. is different compared to you." he told me. "I failed to protect Kikyo, and Kagome arrived here as a weak human, who reminded me of Kikyo. I see Kagome as a friend, a sister. You were always different. You were always so strong. I didn't think I was good enough to be by your side. That's why I wanted the jewel, to be a full demon, and then ask for you to be mine." he told me. I continued staring into his eyes, not knowing if he was saying this to convince me, or himself. "Staying with Kagome made me realize.. that I'm a half demon. And that I should be okay with that." he said, placing a hand on my cheek. "Would you accept me, as a half demon?" he asked me.

"Idiot." I scolded him. "I don't care what you are. I love you dumbass." I mumbled and he pressed his forehead against mine.

"I'm sorry, for all the pain I caused you." he whispered.

I smiled, petting his hair, "Are you sure.. you want me?" I asked him.

"There can be no one else but you." he said to me. "I love you." he said and I noticed his face getting closer, his nose brushing against mine. I stared into his golden eyes.

I smiled and leaned towards him, pressing our lips together. His arms wrapped around my waist, and mines went around his neck.

When we pulled away, we both had a faint blush over our faces. "Let's go home?" he asked and I nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next chapter will be the last chapter and it will be an angsty ending. If you wanted a happy ending, then you don't have to read the next chapter. 

The next chapter will sort of be a continuation of this chapter, so if you don't mind the angst, you can read it.