Chapter 6

"Mike - check,
Podium - check
Sitting arrangements - check
Students form - check
Refreshments - ?"

Mifra Sadiq looked up from her tablet and walked towards a middle-aged man, who was instructing a few workers to arrange chairs properly in a vast area like seminar hall.

"Excuse me, are the refreshments ready?" She enquired.

"How do I know, Madam? My work is only to get these chairs from besetment storeroom and supervise it getting cleaned properly and arranged" he answered, turning back to resume his instructions.

"Oh!" She exclaimed, once again killing Haziq Sulaiman in her mind.

When she was informed that Haziq wanted to meet her early in the morning, she knew he was going to make her do something not a part of her job. But she didn't expect him asking her to check on the preparations of an event conducted by Sulaiman corporation for school and college girls, a session of training on self-defence and importance of it.

Mifra would have praised the idea and applauded for Haziq and his mother who came up with this programme, but due to the current situation she's in, just because of Haziq's mercy, she gritted her teeth and let it pass.

She did say to Haziq that it's not a part of her job. But he being the Haziq Sulaiman, said,

"I'm the boss here"

She would have shoved her resignation on his face right at the moment and leave, if and only if, she hadn't carelessly crushed and dumped it the day she started her real work.

Hence, throwing Haziq a glare, which barely affected him, she made her way back to her cubicle, to type down a resignation and get done with this job and her so-called boss.

She has had enough!

"Excuse me" she turned to find Atif Khan, standing at an appropriate distance.

"Yes?" She tried not to sound angry, which she was at the moment.

"As.. Assalamualaikum" he greeted his voice slightly shivering.

Only her lips moved as she whispered 'walaikumassalam', with a frown.

For a second, it felt difficult for Atif to avert his eyes from her confused face. But he quickly covered it up by clearing his throat and spoke, "I'm Atif Khan, a senior software engineer"

"So?" She wanted to ask, blame her spoiled mood. But she kept quiet, hearing what this young guy here wants to say.

"I've heard that Haziq is giving you work nowhere related to your qualification and profession?" She doesn't know if he's asking or stating, but she simply lowered her gaze, remembering her Nani's words of not complaining about your problems to any stranger, as politics is very normal in every field. People might seem like they're helping you but in reality, they have their ulterior motives.

"I just wanted to say, please have patience for a few days. I know Haziq from school days and he's a kind of person who tries to find fun in everything. Currently, you're his target. He's trying to annoy you to the point that you'd resign, so he could appoint someone on his near ones' recommendation. I suggest you wait till his father, Mr Haroon Sulaiman returns. He'll set things right in no time, In sha Allah" he spoke in a monotonous tone, almost like a robot.

Mifra tried not to show the pain she felt, knowing she's being targeted. It's just her first step towards independence and people have already started to plot against her.

She doesn't know if this Atif guy is being truthful or he too have any kind of hidden motive, but she couldn't deny the fact that Amna Sidiq was appointed upon recommendation and she's being treated nice.