Chapter 13

Haroon Sulaiman nodded at his son's idea, they both staring at the laptop screen. Haroon comfortably seated in his office chair whereas Haziq stood beside him, balancing his weight by one on his father's chair and the other on the table.

"What's this?" They both looked up simultaneously when Fathima entered and toss an envelope on the table before them.

Haroon looked at Fathima then at Haziq. "What did you do this time?" He asked, pointing at the envelope, hinting at that appointment letter incident.

When Haziq sheepishly grinned and Fathima glared at him, Haroon stretched himself to check what's in that envelope.

Haroon frowned at the photographs he pulled out, before looking at his wife. "what's this?" He asked her, eyes slightly widen.

"Ask your son" she did not avert her eyes from Haziq, who scratched his neck. Haroon looked at him, raising his hand in question.

"She's Mehtab aunty's daughter" Haziq answered, leaning to turn the laptop off.

"She looks more like her son" Haroon commented, carefully looking at the picture. "You want my son to marry this girl? But Fathima, she has a moustache for God sake. No offence but she should have shaved before taking a picture and sending us."

Haziq laughed at the dreadful face his father made.

"She does not have a moustache, Haroon. It's your son who has applied his artistic skills on her picture" Fathima shook her head with a sigh.

The puzzled expression on Haroon's face turned to a look of appreciation.

"Not bad, Haziq. I didn't know you're this good in arts" he commented, increasing Fathima's blood pressure, looking at the picture in hand then at Haziq, who proudly shrugged.

"Haroon"

"What? It almost looks real" he defended himself, Haziq and him sharing a mischievous grin.

"You both are impossible" Fathima turned to leave but Haziq stopped her, pulled her a chair and made her sit comfortably. Pecking her cheek, he said to Haroon, "I'll ask Atif to call these companies," he flaunt the paper he held and continued, "and arrange a meeting to hear their ideas."

"I'll see you around, Mom. Love you" he pulled her cheek, who dropped her shoulders in defeat.

"I asked you not to bother him with more proposals. He's not ready. Let him take his time" Haroon spoke as soon as the glass door shut behind their son.

"How much time? It's been about three months to Talia's proposal and just yesterday I politely asked him to think about Mehtab's daughter. But no, this guy.."

"I don't understand what's the hurry? Is anything bothering you?" Haroon sounded serious, looking deeply into his wife's eyes to know the reason behind this behaviour of hers.

She sighed aloud, leaning on the chair and closing her eyes. "I'm scared" she finally confessed.

"That he's going to marry that Aamir?" Haroon questioned.

Fathima clicked her tongue in anger, opening her eyes and shooting her husband a dagger. "Then what?" He chuckled, placing his hand over hers.

"Nida is constantly saying that he'll marry someone who'd be a practising Muslimah"

"So?"

"What do you mean by so? She'll not fit into our circle and Haroon, I want a modern daughter in law. Not any hijabi, niqabi type of girl" she made a face and for a second, Haroon felt relieved that Haziq isn't here. He would definitely feel offended.