Chapter 20

"You did not do it right, Mifra"

Though Mifra Sadiq knows what her lovely grandmother is talking about, she looked up at her with those eyes and innocent face, blinking as if she has no idea what she's asking.

"What did I do, Nani?" She asked with a straight face.

"You put forth a condition in front of Suman? You told her that you'll only marry her son if she promises to let him move in with us?" Ayesha asked in disbelief.

When Mifra walked in to meet the family who visited them last night, Ayesha was whispering 'tasbihath' throughout the dinner. She feared this girl might cause trouble.

But when everything went smoothly and Ayesha went to fetch dessert from fridge, she noticed Mifra whispering something to the guy's mother and her face paled. Ayesha expected Mifra to say anything but this. But she should have guessed it by the way that woman urged his family to leave right away, without even having the deserter she made with their house help, Chanda.

"No" Mifra answered, going on with the work in hand.

Ayesha's angry face twisted within a second, before Mifra added, "I did not say I'll marry him. I said I'll marry the one who's ready to move in with us after marriage."

"You've lost your mind, Mifra. Which kind of condition is this? Khuda ya! This girl is never going to get married this way. Allah! What do I do with her?" Ayesha sat down, hiding her face in her palm as she shook her head in negative.

"Nani, you emotionally blackmailed me yesterday. I had no other option but to give in. It doesn't mean I'm ready to leave you all alone here. And that woman, she was talking too much about her son and how he's going to grant her every wish, even if she ask for the moon. So I shared my simple wish and..."

"Simple wish? Do you think moving in with your laws is simple for a guy, especially in desi countries like ours? You've gone crazy, Mifra" Ayesha looked like she wanted to pull out her hair in frustration.

"You're exaggerating it, Nani" she calmly commented and it only raised Ayesha's temper.

"You not doing it right, Mifra. You're increasing my blood pressure"

---

"... You exhaust yourself too much, Haroon. Sleep on time" Fathima scolded her husband, rubbing her sleepy eyes whilst having a face time with him who was in Dubai and she woke up to his call.

"You know I couldn't sleep peacefully until I complete the work planned for the day" Haroon rubbed his stiff neck, feeling tired. "Where's Nida? I called her before calling you but she did not attend my call. I hope she's not partying or working till this hour"

Fathima unknowingly gulped at the question, thinking of a way to cover up their daughter's absence. When Haroon is home, they all follow a strict rule of being home by midnight, be it Haziq, Fathima, Nida or Haroon himself. But in his absence and Haziq being busy with more and more work, Nida was returning home nearly in the morning. Fathima is the only one who knows about this and though she tried making her daughter convince not to stay out till so late, she couldn't.

"She's asleep already." She answered in a calm tone, her heart thudding at her own lie.

When Haroon is in a nice mood, he's the loveliest person in the entire world but when he's angry, no one can handle him. Not even Fathima stands that and in the twenty-six years of their married life, she tried never to make him angry, for she has witnessed his rage only two for times and she was terrified to no limit. Once when they were newly married and Adnan Ahmed did fraud with their company and the second time when their driver caused an accident while taking Haziq and Nida to school.