Chapter 4 - 'Big brother in law'

The following morning Lexie gets herself ready for work. She packs granola bars in her bag, along with her phone and some glasses she had recently found were very helpful when her eyes were tired after long shifts. She got Zola ready for daycare, and headed out. She of course was trying not to think about the obvious elephant in the room...or in her mind should I say. She runs to drop Zola off, who gave 'auntie Lexie a big cuggle' as she said. A nice way for Lexie to start her day, but she knew it would only go downhill from there.

Lexie - "Morning Dr Shepard, how are you today?" She asked smiling

Derek - "Well hello Dr Grey, I am doing fine on this very morning, how are you?" He said mockingly

Lexie - "I know you're mocking me, but you always get angry when I call you 'my big brother in law' or Derek. I'm being professional that's all." *they both laughed together, until Derek remembered Mark*

Derek - "well I think you calling me Derek or I suppose 'big brother', take away the in law, would be okay for today considering." * he pauses suddenly hinting that he was talking about Mark*

Lexie - *quickly changing the subject* "So, any fun cases for us to do today?"

Derek - *trying to support Lexie now, knowing her hurt* "Yes actually, a very exciting one! I'm sure you'll be very glad you're on my case"*he forms a little smile and winks at a very excited looking Lexie*

They go up to the Sam floor that Mark was on. The familiar walls, and airiness surrounding her. Derek scooted past all of the new incomings, and straight into...

Lexie's face said it all. She was not impressed with Derek (clearly by the annoyed look on her face), but secretly very relieved.

Derek - "Mark! How lovely to see you on this fine day" *he shots enthusiasm echoing out of his mouth* He looked at Lexie with a tilted head and raised his eyebrows giving her a smile as he stood outside out of Mark's view.

Mark - "How do you think I am Derek huh?" He questioned sarcastically

Derek looked at Lexie signalling for her to come in the room, but she still stood there peering into the room when Mark looked away, and listening to what he was saying.

Derek - "Okay Mark, this is obviously more than you hurting physically so what's wrong?" He says gently, trying not to trigger an outburst from his patient and best friend.

Mark - "I love Lexie, I love her so much. All I thought about whenever I was with Julia was her. When I was run over, I thought that was it as I was laying on the floor. I thought if these were my last moments, I better think about the one person who I love the most and leave this world knowing that I did love somebody more than myself (for once) *they both laughed at this, through the tears in both of their eyes*. She lights up my world Derek, and why I didn't say I love you back to her before Julie came over in the parking lot I do no know. How could I have been so stupid to let her go? I know she doesn't love me anymore though, I know that because a month is a long time, and Lexie will have tried to find somebody else, somebody who doesn't have such a complicated family...Somebody who puts her first. I want to be that person. Every second, every minute, every hour of every day."

Derek held Mark's hand, just as they did when they were kids if one of them was injured or sad.
He felt empathy for Mark, as he had been in a similar position with Meredith countless times before.

He quickly stands up after a few minutes realising he must check on Mark's brain injuries. He looks over for Lexie, who is curled up in a ball leant against the wall, flooding the hall with tears. Luckily for Lexie that floor was very quiet at that very moment, so nobody but her 'big brother' could see her in that vulnerable state of mind.

Derek - "I'll be one minute Mark, I just have to check something." I'll be right back. He says leaving the room.

He then chases after a very upset Lexie who's running for an on-call-room straight ahead.

Derek - "Lexie, Lexie, LEXIE WAIT!" He called after her. But, she carried on until she got into the room, locking the door.

Lexie - "Derek its fine, I think it would be better for me personally if I was assigned to somebody different today." She says as she sobs.

Derek sits outside of the door, curling up like he knows Lexie would be on the other side. He sits there for a while, just so Lexie knew she had somebody there, that cared and loved her.

Derek - "Lexie, Lex" he calls softly, please open the door

The door slowly opens, making a small creak as it does. A very damp Lexie walks out, her face drenched in melancholy.

Derek - "Lexie...Lets go in there together okay. Lets also remember that man loves you, and you love him. You need each other."

Lexie - "but he doesn't know I love him, and his injuries could be fatal Derek and-"

Derek - "That's why you need to tell him silly *he says, pulling his little sister into a hug* and I'm the best neurosurgeon in Seattle, and I'm his best friend. Do you really think I would let something happen to my best friend? And *he hugs her tighter* he has the girl who he trusts and who loves him the most helping too. A Grey."

Lexie looks up as Derek kisses her on her head.

Lexie - "Lets do it then!" She says unhooking her arms from Derek and wiping away the tears and fanning the redness from her face.

They walk into the room

The end of Chapter 4! What are we thinking? How will Mark react? Let me know what you think will happen next. The next chapter is in the works, so make sure to follow me to keep notified. Any other ideas for Greys fanfics let me know too. Sending you all lots of love!