Chapter 22 - The discharge

"Mark, hey , hey. Wake up" called a voice nudging at Mark's side
Flustered, he opened his eyes to Lexie? "Lex?" He questioned

But now all he could see was a white light being shone into his eye

"Is he okay?" Another voice called

"Yeah, he's probably just tired, confused. It happens. His pupils are intact, nothing to be worried about"

His eyes flickered and head scrunched as he woke to see Callie sat by his side, and Derek stood over him

Callie - "Hey its me, how you doin?" She asked softly, smiling as he threw her a confused glance

She paused, looking sad

Callie - "You can go home today. Exciting right?"

He didn't answer, he just slowly got himself up and went to the bathroom to get out of his gown, with the support of a nearby chair as Derek and Callie watched him walk away.

Callie - "Derek, he's not okay" she stated

Derek - "Trust me, i know. But have you seen the state of Lexie? I cant think of what they are dosing her with in psych without her consent. Not only that but Mark and Lexie need eachother, they are both going to drive theirselves crazy" he answered sighing, bringing his hand to his head and rubbing it forcefully

Callie - "I dont know how to help Derek. How do we help?"

Derek - "Honestly Callie, i don't know. All i know is Mark will do anything for Lexie. I have seen him in relationships over the years, lasts one week or a day, sex and maybe a forced i love you. He has never actually loved someone until Lexie. When he leaves today, he'll go and visit her. There is no way he'll leave without seeing her." Derek and Callie looked at eachother,straight in the eyes, worry rimming their pupils. They knew it was going to end badly.

Mark had gotten dressed and brushed his teeth, he looked at himself in the mirror and clutched the sides of the sink breathing heavily into it, trying not to cry. Everything was falling apart for him, but not only that, he was falling apart himself.

After a few minutes of holding it together, he walked out looking slightly more refreshed than to begin with. Callie was still there, it was her day off after all. But, Derek had left to go and remove a tumour - oh the joys of surgery!

Callie - "Hey, are you ready to go home? Derek just signed the discharge papers. "

He wanted to say something back, but he was so mentally drained that he couldn't

Callie - "Look..." she stood up to help him "I have an idea of something that will cheer you up. Will you give it a try? I hate seeing my best friend like this...all depressy" she cracked a small laugh, but it seemed Mark didnt find it all that amusing, however he did do a small nodding motion to which Callie smiled despite her embarrassment.

She grabbed his bag, and linked arms with him. They got in the nearest elevator, and Callie quickly pressed number 7 without him noticing.

Mark was confused, and did really want to get home but he was willing to try and cheer himself up, even if that meant not sleeping for a few minutes.

The doors opened, and Callie happily went up to the desk, after telling Mark to go and sit down in the waiting area.

Callie - "Hi, I'm Dr Torres, Chief of Ortho, I'm here with my colleague Dr Mark sloan, Chief of Plastics to see Lexie Grey please"

The receptionist shot her a rude glance, before answering

"It seems Lexie Grey is in too much of a state for visitors currently. But, if you're her doctors then that's fine. Just not friends, family or of close relation to  her. " she said, looking bored of the conversation