Chapter 8 - Giving up

Mark managed to get some sleep in a nearby on-call room, after Derek said he was pretty much clear to do so. Derek promised in the morning he'd come and help Mark get to physio to work on the movement of his legs after his spinal surgery. After Mark woke up, he paged Derek who came to do just as he promised.

After Mark was safely on his feet, they walked out of the room heading towards physio.

Derek- ''Good sleep?''

Mark - "Yeah, it was alright. Not the best I've had. I didn't sleep too much, just a lot of worrying that's all.''

Derek - "Well that's understandable after all you've been through lately, but I'm sure when you are back on your feet again, it'll feel better"

Mark - "Yeah, I hope so" he exclaims, a little fear in his voice

They continue walking until Mark's legs give way, and he falls to the ground, almost as though it was in slow motion.

Derek - "Mark, are you okay?" He looks concerned now, as he grabs a nurse to fetch him a wheelchair

Mark - "Yeah'' he says rubbing his head in embarrassment "I'm fine I just need to get up-''

Derek cuts over him sharply "No, you're sitting in this wheelchair until we get to physio"

Mark doesn't look happy at all with Dereks demand, but listens in an attempt to not cause corruption in the busiest halls of the hospital.

They get to physio, and Derek leaves him there for around an hour. When he goes to wake Lexie up for rounds.

Derek - he gives Lexie's head a small stroke as he does with Zola in an attempt to wake her up and whispers "Lexie, you need to wake up".

Lexie mumbles and then wakes up with a sudden shock batting away Dereks hand as though she was using self defence

Derek - "Woah woah, steady there. It's only me. I've come to wake you up, you are on my service today" he says very gently trying not to startle her anymore.

Lexie - "You really scared me. That was a crap good morning" she said angrily, while holding her head in her hands, it's weight making her sink into the bed now

She then looks up bewildered, "Where's Mark?" She says concerned

Derek - Don't worry, I took him to physio. He's fine. Oh and Good Morning to you too Dr grey" He smirks walking out of her room 

"It's another beautiful day to save lives, now get up."

Lexie gets up, keeping her same scrubs on from the following day, and ties her hair up into a messy bun while following Derek to a patients room. He updated her on the surgery he'd be doing today, telling her that she would be scrubbing in.

Derek - "Lexie, I'll let you scrub in on surgery today, but it's a difficult one. I don't want any personal issues getting in the way of your performance in my OR. Will they?"

Lexie half asleep, half running on adrenaline answers "Will they what?'' Showing she  wasn't listening at all

Derek - "Will your personal life get in the way of your performance in my OR" He repeats clearly and loudly knowing Lexie was not listening

She shakes her head and her body to wake herself up "Of course not Dr Shepard. I will perform exactly as you wish in that OR. I am ready!'' She says bouncing now

Derek - "I was going to suggest you go and get a coffee to wake yourself up. But i think it's clear you already have the adrenaline running through you. That's excellent." He says this infront of the patient before quietly whispering "But seriously Lexie, stop bouncing. You'll scare her away''