Chapter 7 - the right time.

Mark - ''Derek'' he calls to a rushing and stressed Dr Shepard in the opposite hall. With no answer he calls again "DEREK!'' Mak shouts under his breath, trying not to wake Lexie. Derek turns around staring at Mark and rushed towards him.

Derek - "Mark what are you doing walking?" He says grabbing his arm and wrapping it around his neck to stabilise him

Mark - "Well, didn't you hear? Julie tried to KILL my girlfriend today, pinned her against the wall and all. I was walking then, stood up and threw myself right in her face. I nearly killed her then and there too. Trust me, I'm surprised you didn't hear about it, the whole hospital stayed to watch" he laughed hysterically, which eventually died down after a few seconds.

Derek - "Mark, lets just get you back in bed. I didn't hear about it, but I'm sorry. Lexie's fine though remember, she's here, not hurt,  not injured and the police have Julie. She isn't going anywhere alright."

Mark - "Yeah I know, but I needed to find you to ask you something."

Derek - "Okay, just lets get you back in bed-" he pulls the curtain across to see a sleeping Lexie curled up in a ball, and he smiles sweetly.

Derek - "well, it seems somebody has taken over your bed" he laughs
Mark - "yeah she's exhausted. Julie really dug into her today. But I'm not going to worry about her until there really is something to worry about" he says, doubtful of his words.

Derek - "hmm I'm sure she'll be okay now that she has you. She's strong you know, a fighter."

Mark agrees as Derek walks with marks arms around his shoulders while they found the attending lounge to sit in.

Derek - "so, what was it you wanted to ask?" he says curious now

Mark - "I wanna know when you knew. When you knew to ask Mer to marry you? Even though your guys didn't exactly have the most normal proposal or wedding..."

Derek looks shocked by this, considering Mark and Lexie had only just become 'Mark and Lexie' again.

Derek - "I just knew every time I looked at her that she was my world. It's that feeling when you look at somebody and you just can't imagine a life without them. That if they weren't here, everything would be dark. You can imagine growing old with them, and imagine starting a family with them...The future. If you look at Lexie and see that future, you know. You know that she's the right one. Is she?''

Mark - Mark pauses and thinks before answering ''I can see that future, I just...Don't know if she can. She's a lot  younger than me. She's going to want to wait for kids, for marriage and I just don't think i can Derek. I haven't got time''

Derek - ''Mark you have time, the age gap isn't that big...But I understand what you mean. She's organised, she knows what she wants, but doesn't. She has a whole timeline of events she must follow, otherwise life isn't worth it.''

Mark - ''Yeah that's definitely Lexie you're describing'' he laughs tears eyed.

Derek - ''You know I wasn't going to tell you this, because i thought you'd find it cheesy, which you probably still will. But, ever since you and Lexie met and fell in love you've had a different look , and so has she. When you were it's Julie, you never once gave her 'the look', you only gave it to Lexie. The same with Lexie and Jackson. She always looked back at you when you were with Julie. She's always loved you whether you believe it or not. Greys are broken Mark. Both of them are broken, and have been through more than some ever experience in their lifetime. When you turned up for Lexie in her darkest hour, she healed. She healed because of you. That kind of healing doesn't happen that quickly. Yes, she may still be a little broken, but definitely a lot less since you.''

Mark - ''Yeah?'' He smiles coughing away the tears.

Derek - ''I've missed you. This you. The you Lexie makes you. It's great having you back Mark'' he returns the smile now

They both share a hug. The 'brothers' were back. Together. As though nothing had happened, and as Derek said 'it's great'.

Mark slips in a whisper to Derek.

Mark - ''I'm going to ask her. Not now, but in a few weeks. I need time to think about how to do it. But like you said, it felt right, and it does...It always has felt right''.

Derek does the generic 'man hug' with Mark  as gentle as possible and for almost a second it felt like normal again. Not that life was anything but normal at Seattle Grace.

The end of chapter 7. Thank you so much for reading, i hope you enjoyed. Let me know what you thought, and I'll bring out Chapter 8 :)