10. Be careful, sunshine

Let's play a quick game of two truths one lie:

1. I woke up in a great mood today
2. I want to strangle Eric
3. I want to strangle Eric with a chainsaw

Any guesses? That's right, I definitely didn't wake up happy today.

I've heard Eric's words multiple times before. Callum has said them over and over again, but after the first few times, I learnt to accept them. Why did Eric saying them bother me this much?

Maybe it's because our exchange was very public or maybe it's the fact that I hoped I could move on from my perceived weakness in Amity and become someone else here in Dauntless. Now that I've been called out by one of our instructors, I doubt anyone will see me as strong or resilient ever again.

These were the thoughts running through my mind during breakfast at the Pit. I was so consumed by them that I almost missed the quiet "Thank you" whispered from someone next to me.

I raise my head to look at the person who had spoken. It was Al. I look at him, confusion taking over my features; surely he can't be talking to me. Not after I threw five knives at him.

"Yes I'm talking to you Iris, stop looking so confused." Al chuckled lightly. "I wanted to thank you for not killing me yesterday" he says honestly.

"And also apologise. I know it must have been hard to stand there and listen to Eric, but you handled that like a badass. I mean seriously, you threw a knife at him?" Al says, his eyes as wide as his smile.

I chuckle lightly, relieved that there was no tension between us after yesterday. The last thing I want is for Eric to put a target on my back.

"Seriously Iris, you were awesome!" I look up to see Chloe, her chin resting on her palms as she spoke. "Violent, but awesome" she adds and the whole table laughs.

With my spirits lifted slightly, I walk with the others to the training room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●●●~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a gruelling training session, our instructors finally let us go to lunch. Since we had covered most of the basics of handling and firing a gun, we had the evening all to ourselves.

Sitting down to eat actual food felt like a blessing. I was lightly talking with the rest of the transfers, Chloe and Al were cracking jokes and no unwanted thoughts plagued my mind for a while.

But of course it couldn't last.

I felt something was going on before Eric had to say it. He and Four were walking towards our table; shoulders stiff and backs straight. I focused on my food, foolishly thinking that this wasn't about me. Eric's cold gaze on me wouldn't let me rest though.

The two men stopped right behind me and Chloe.

"Get up, initiate" Eric said, loud enough for the whole table to hear him. Some transfers even started standing up, given how intimidating Eric is and the fact that he never uses our actual names. Apparently, we also need to be mind readers to survive Dauntless.

I turn my head to look at him, still clinging to the hope that this has nothing to do with me.

"I said get up" he growls slightly more irritated. "You've got visitors" he added, his gaze murderous. To be honest, he had a right to be angry. Visitors were not allowed in Dauntless unless it was an emergency or a high profile situation. So which one is this?

"Can I refuse?" I ask half-heartedly, trying to buy me some time to calm my thoughts.

"Not these visitors" said Four, looking more pensive than usual.