Ch-16 The Message from Hyderabad

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendants and noble companions.'

- Aameen.

Dedicated to ArabianPrincess786 for being the first reader ever to find the clue of Maryam's relative :D

Chapter Sixteen

The Message from Hyderabad

Minnesota, U.S.A

The room shrouded in shadows smelt faintly of medicines and despair while misery sat close to the girl who lay staring at the ceiling in a listless manner. For what seemed like a long time she lay thus until a tinkling sound began breaking her loop of woeful thoughts and Maryam struggled to sit up and searched for her phone.

"Hello?" the voice came out feeble and tired.

"Maryam? This is Sophia speaking."

"I know."

"How are you?"

"Okay. I guess. Alhamdulillaah."

"How's the fever?"

"Gone."

"Did you eat something?"

"No."

"Maryam?"

"Huh?"

"Don't be such a pain in the ass; just say you're not doing well. Were you sleeping? Should I call later?" Sophia asked in concern.

"No... it's alright." Maryam blinked back her sudden tears.

"No. It's not." Her friend sighed in exasperation.

"I'm sorry."

"You better be. Your Dad called me urging me to speak to you, he sounded so worried and apologized so many times for calling. Why do you trouble such a beautiful man?"

"I'm sorry..." the voice became thick with tears.

"Maryam, sweetheart what's wrong?"

"Everything Soph everything!" the lump of sadness seemed to choke her throat as Maryam tried to swallow her tears.

"This is not like you;" Sophia soothed. "You've become weak from the fever, what happens to your faith and trust in God?"

"I do I do! But I'm so tired too, oh Soph what should I do?"

"You were so excited last weekend messaging me about your friends' sleepover and the next I know I'm getting a call from Sufyaan that you have been suffering from fever and refusing to eat and moping around the house like a ghost!"

The answer was just a sniffle.

"How come I don't even get a little message to know that my best friend was suffering?"

"Oh Soph I'm sorry I'm so sorry... I wanted to call you...talk to you, but I knew you would be busy! And I've been in such despair... I didn't know what to do and the next I knew I had a fever... then he came and increased the pain!"

"Who's he?"

"Tony."

"You refused him didn't you? What's his problem?"