Part 17

3rd person POV

-------------------------------------------------------------

Y/n, Varian, and Leo made their way back to their lab, which was now in shambles. They walked inside to see the whole place ruined. Y/N rushed over to a table filled with gadgets.

"What happened here?!"

Leo stepped around some broken glass "seems like a break in"

Varian looked defeated to say the least. "But what would someone want from this? No one else knows how to use any of this except me and father-"

Leo pats him on the shoulder "Whoever it is, they'll realize their mistake and come clean"

Y/N wiped her hands. "In the meantime, this place is in no shape to be a lab. I noticed an old looking castle a few yards away from your house. Does anyone use it?"

Varian grabbed a sack and started to fill it with any instruments left, "Not that I know of"

"Well, as a princess, I have a bit of power over land in the kingdom, and seeing as you and your father's work can be beneficial for your village, I say that will be your new lab" She took a scrap of paper and wrote down a reminder to ask about the old castle when she got back. Both Varian and Leo sent her a shocked look, but she just walked out and made her way to the castle.

Y/N

---------------------------------------------------------

ok, what did I just do? I'm barely a princess, and I just acted all high and mighty, saying this place was theirs now. What if it's an artifact of this land? I never really got to sightsee with my brother, y'know being on the run and stuff all the time.

"Y/N, hold up!"

Varian ran up behind me wheezing. I patted him on the back as we reached our destination. Once we reached the front, it took all three of us to push it open. We were welcomed by dust that probably hadn't seen the light of day in centuries, and there was a lot of it. Leo fanned the dust away from his face.

"*cough* you sure this place is *cough* safe? It doesn't look like it's seen a good *cough* clean up in years"

I could see where Leo was coming from, but I had to think positively. If we could clean this place up, it would be the perfect spot for Varian and Quirin to practice with knowing they were at a safe distance from the village.

"Oh, come on! *cough* With a little dusting, sweeping, and mopping this place will look brand new!"

I smiled at the thought of Varian showing me all of his new inventions.

"What's got you all smiley?" I jolted at Leo's comment, my face heating up.

"I-I was just thinking of all the ways we could spruce this place up, that's all"

Leo crossed his arms and smirked. I waved him off as I started walking through the long hallway leading to a few different rooms. Only the first few were safe to walk into, and it seems that nothing was touched since it went to ruin. There were some bedrooms, a throne room, and what looked to be a study, with everything still inside.

"Hey Y/N! Come over here!"

I walked out of the study with a candle and saw Varian. He pointed at something I couldn't see.

"There's a flight of stairs over here!"

A look of concern crossed my face, "Do you think that's a good idea? We have no idea if those are stable- VARIAN!"