Chapter 3

~~A Little After The Past, But Still Before The Present~~

"I swear to God, Steve."  I sighed, patching up his cuts and bruises.  "You have got to stop getting into fights like this."

"They started it."  He protested with a frown in his heavy Brooklyn accent.

"We know they did, Steve.  But sometimes, you gotta stop thinking about what bullies are doing to others, and start thinking about what they could do to you.  You need to think more about yourself sometimes."  Bucky reasoned, keeping an arm wrapped around the both of our shoulders.

"Yeah?  Well maybe they should just pick on someone their own size."  Steve grumbled in reply, standing up and walking over to the railing.  Bucky shrugged when I looked up at him, so I urged him to console Steve with gentle pushes towards the blonde.  Bucky silently sighed and kissed my cheek before walking over to his best friend.  I packed the medkit back up and tossed some unnecessary band-aid plastic in the bin.  I did my best to give them their privacy and not eavesdrop, but it was kinda hard to when I didn't have far to go.

"Steve, I know you mean well, but me and Lo don't like seeing you hurt or upset."  Bucky explained as carefully as possible.

"And I don't like seeing you guys, or any other person in general, getting hurt or upset."  Steve retorted.

"Yeah...you've got a good heart like that."  I saw Bucky nod out of the corner of my eye.  I slipped the medkit back in its cupboard, considering it belonged to Steve and we're at his place.

"Is it a good thing?  Or is it a stupid thing?  It's not like I could ever fight back....one kick and I'm on the ground."  Steve sighed monotonously.

"It can be both.  It's stupid, because you'll be hurt, but it's good because people will admire you for your good heart and passionate spirit."

"I guess you're right..."  Steve cheered up a bit.

" 'You guess'?  When have I ever led you astray?"  Bucky chuckled, wrapped an arm around Steve's shoulders like a big brother might.  I pulled a random book from the bookshelf and began to read.  A few minutes passed of silence and a conversation between the two here and there.  It was getting pretty late when Bucky sat down beside me and read over my shoulder, Steve offering to make us food too.  We thanked him, but had planned to go out for dinner before we had to go back to the dumb war grounds.

"I envy how you two were able to get in the army...man, I wish I was able to fight beside you two."  Steve sighed sadly.

"Honestly, Steve, you're gonna make a fine soldier."  I told him earnestly, placing the book back on its shelf.

"You really think so, Lo?"  He questioned uncertainly.

"Yeah, I do!"  I encouraged brightly.

"We should go now, and you should get some rest, Steve.  You look exhausted."  Bucky stood up and stretched.

"Y-Yeah...you're right...I feel like absolute shit."  Steve chuckled, scratching the back of his neck.  Bucky and I chuckled at his cute, shyness.  Bucky offered his hand, so I graciously took it and he helped me up.  I stretched as well, feeling my muscles ache, as Bucky flicked a bit of my long hair in thought.  We said goodbye and goodnight to Steve, giving him one final hug before we left.  And as we were walking down the apartment stairs, Bucky brushed his hand through my hair again.

"Something wrong, Babe?"  I questioned.  He hummed in thought about my waist-length hair.

"I think it'd be dangerous to be in war with such long hair...could I cut it a bit shorter for you?  Just to your shoulder blades."  He pressed his hand around my shoulder blades to show me how short he'd cut it.  "I'll make sure it's neat.  I've had experience cutting other's hair before, and they compliment my skills."  He bragged with a grin.  I smiled back.