Chapter 16

~~Present Day~~

I helped Steve, using my own super-human strength, to open the SHIELD metal door that kept alien tech hidden inside it.  Steve walked up to a crate and opened it with his super-human strength as I hesitantly watched.  He pulled out a HYDRA gun and met my eyes with a fire in his own.  "Stark was right.  SHIELD's hiding things from us.  And they're planning on using this to their own advantage."  He growled under his breath for being such a fool.

"I...have nothing to hide..."  I sighed when he glared at me.  "I knew of the alien tech, yes, but I didn't know about the HYDRA tech!"  I protested, but he shook his head.

"You know what people--all people--are like, Lola.  You of all people, know.  This is a form of power that mankind always craves for.  We can't let them get away with having this and using it for their own benefit."  He stormed out and froze in the doorway.  "You can either be with me, or with SHIELD."  He looked to the wall in front of him when he spoke, and then went silent--waiting for my answer.

"I...I'm never choosing SHIELD over my best friend!"  I walked up to him with a determined look.  I was going to set things right, even if Fury hated me for it.  Steve met my eyes and smiled kindly once more, so I smiled back.  "I'm sorry I ever let this happen in the first place."  I apologized.

"It's fine.  As a soldier, I understand."  He smiled.  "Now let's get back to Stark."

"Yes, Sir."  I saluted, causing him to chuckle and roll his eyes as he carried the heavy gun in his arms.

~~~~(This time skip has been brought to you by Steve's fine hair.)~~~~

We stormed into Banner's 'office' where Stark and Fury stood and looked unimpressed as Bruce looked like he would rather have some tea right about now.  We heard Stark speak just as we entered the room.  "What is 'Phase Two'?"  Stark asked Fury.

"'Phase Two' is where SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons."  Steve glared, tossing the HYDRA tech onto a nearby table.  "Sorry, but the computer was moving a little too slow for me."  Steve then cockily stated as Stark raised his eyebrows at the statement--looking completely unamused.

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract.  That does not mean that we're making--"  Fury began, before he was cut off.

"I'm sorry, Nick."  Stark cockily intervened.  "What were you lying?"  He asked as he turned a panel to face us.  It had blueprints to build HYDRA tech with.

"I was wrong, Director.  The world hasn't changed a bit."  Steve glared, eye to eye with Fury.  I hung back and watched them all closely.

"Did you know about this?"  Bruce asked Natasha and I.  I noticed Natasha had walked into the room with Thor, completely unnoticed.

"Do you want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Bruce?  Please?"  Natasha pleaded her soulmate.

"I was in Culcutta."  Bruce laughed.  "I was pretty removed."

"Loki's trying to manipulate you."  Natasha tried to warn him.

"And you've been doing what, exactly?"  Bruce questioned, the tension in the room growing stronger.

"You didn't come here just because I'm your soulmate."  Natasha watched him skeptically.

"Yes and I'm not leaving either."  He replied undenyingly.  "Just because you suddenly get a little twitchy, doesn't mean I don't have the same right, as everyone else in this room, to be here."  He glared back.  She clamped her jaw and looked to the floor with hurt barely visible in her eyes as Bruce continued to speak.  "I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."