Chapter 13

~~A Little After The Past, But Still Before The Present~~

I waited for Steve as he was getting his bloods taken.  He hadn't talked when he came back, he only looked uncertain of his future.  The colonel waltzed into the room, followed by various different men in uniform.  "Colonel Philips, my committee is demanding answers!"  The 'leader' told him.

"Great!  Let's start with how a German spy got a car ride to my secret installation..."  Colonel replied, not sparing a second to stop and face them, he just kept walking towards Mr. Stark who continued to investigate the HYDRA invention.  "...in your car."  Colonel finished.  "What've we got here, Mr. Stark?"  Colonel Philips turned his attention to Howard.

"Speaking quite modestly, I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country."  Howard spoke up oh-so humbly.  "But I don't know what's inside this thing, or how it works."  He huffed, placing his hands on his hips.  "We're not even close to this technology."

"Then who is?"  The unidentified man who spoke to Philips, had asked.

"HYDRA."  Colonel Philips informed him.  "I'm certain you've read our briefings?"  Colonel raised an eyebrow to the unidentified man who returned the look with a most displeased face.

"I'm on a number of committees, Colonel."  The unidentified man scowled.

"Then I shall inform you."   I spoke up from my spot, leaning against some railing.  "HYDRA is the Nazi deep-science division.  It's led by Johann Schmidt.  But he's had much bigger ambitions than just HYDRA's regular tech."  The unidentified man noticed my presence and took off his hat, but his frown remained as I finished explaining.

"Summing it up--HYDRA's a cult who worships Schmidt.  They even think he's invincible."  Colonel Philips explained.

"So what'll you do about it?"  The unidentified man demanded to know.

"Well.  I spoke to the President this morning."  Colonel Philips told them as he turned and walked.  I followed out of curiosity.  "As of today, the SSR is being retasked."  He turned back to me and Peggy who just joined my side.  We looked at each other and then back at Colonel Philips.

"Colonel?"  We asked confused.

"We are taking the fight to HYDRA.  Pack your bags, ladies."  He told us, Steve listening in the background.  "You too, Mr. Stark!"  Colonel ordered.  "We're flying to London tonight."

"Sir?"  Steve spoke up from near us.  "If you're going to be going after Schmidt, then I want in."  Steve told him.  Colonel looked to us and then back to Steve.

"You're an experiment.  You're going to Alamogordo."  The Colonel ordered.

"The serum worked."  Steve protested.

"Look, son.  I asked for an army and all I got was you.  You.  Are not enough."  The Colonel bluntly stated.  I looked down and then back up at a now taller Steve.

"I'm sorry, Steve.  I can stay with you if you want--"  I told him, but he cut me off with a smile.

"No, no.  I want you to inform me about what's happening though, when you get back."  He smirked.  I grinned.

"Definitely, Stevie!"  I hugged him tightly before running to pack my things for the trip.

~~~~~~~~

It'd been quite a long time.  And by that I mean a LONG time since I'd last seen Steve or Bucky.  I missed them both dearly, but finally we were back at the Army camp grounds (which I was officially not on) where we saw Steve as 'Captain America' in his get-up costume, trying to win-over the soldiers.  The soldiers only wanted the girls, so Steve stepped off stage and the girls piled on.  I shook my head from the sidelines and turned invisible, using my heat-vision to locate Steve.  It took a few minutes, but I finally found him as it began to hammer down with rain.