1

Abhiyaan

My mom and dad went to their new hospital. We were all recently relocated to Mumbai as mom and dad have a better jobs. They said it to me.

I'm having a tough time finding my shoes, "Where are they?" But it seems they're just as hard to figure out why our parents didn't let us stay with grandma. I loved it at home in Delhi. I have many friends there and I am missing school and my best friends Sarthak and Keshav. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to the two, and to Bhavika who lives nearby. She's really beautiful and big-hearted. During the summers, she bought ice cream for everybody with stolen pieces. She is so good; she is never caught taking money by her parents. She is the best. I shall also ask Anvi to become like her. Distributing free ice cream in summer is the biggest good work in the world. Mama and Papa are very mean. Who will bring me ice cream now? Sarthak - Keshav are away too.

I glanced out the window of my new room, and I saw that there were kids in the park. My new blue spider man clock shows 9h15 Sunday, June 1, 1996. Oh! Yes his mom's dad Sunday should take leave from the hospital. But they said it was a new job and they needed to go.

It scared the hell out of me. What if this town's schools open on Sunday, too? Then all my animated series will cry for me "Abhi please watch us ...if you will not watch us then, we will not come in TV."

Hold on, I have to watch them for Anvi. If, I don't watch them then; how mommy and grandma are going to feed her. It's my duty to look after them for Anvi. Otherwise, she'll die of hunger. There was time for 'Duck Tales' so I went back to my bed.

"Abhi look at many kids playing at this time on Sunday." I heard my granny.

"Do I have school today?" I asked peeking through little whole my pencil did in comforter.

"No schools open on Sunday." She replied, pulling off my covers.

"Let me sleep, I don't have my friends here to wonder off. Sarthak and the other kids play dodge ball."

"I'm taking Anvi to the park, you hear the kids laughing and yelling joyfully?"

"Coming, wait for me." I yelled and starting getting ready to go the park. Luckily I stumbled across my shoes, smiling I raised my eyebrows before lifting them through the lace. As I slipped into it, I put the shoelaces inside and looked for my favourite book.

After a while, I was standing with Anvi and Granny, and watched them all, like a spectator. Clutching my latest colour book to my chest I stroll along, looking at the little wild flowers that grow along the path. I hear few kids playing with joy and the noise of busy adults preparing the picnic.

Looming directly in front of me is a magnificent gum tree. I decide to rest my back against its enormous chest. I open the book The Nutcracker Story, written by ETA Hoffman and think of Tchaikovsky who composed the music so that it could be adapted to a ballet. My fingers found the page and I began to read the part on the gingerbread house.

The sun danced across the small openings of the leaves. That enabled the sun to fall directly on my face. The sun was warm and wonderfully soothing. As I flicked the next page over the words started to move about. Oddly, I tried in vain to control the words by blinking and screwing up my face. All of a sudden, the words went away. Just at that point, I could hear in the distance familiar music playing.

What kind of music is it?

Of course, it is Tchaikovsky's music, to the scene in the gingerbread house.

As I walked through those brilliant red poppies, I could see a princess dancing with so much grace.

While I was getting closer, she disappeared.

Once again, I heard the music from the Nutcracker and realized it is the introduction to the Waltz of the Flowers. Several ballerinas appeared wearing fairy suits of different colours. When the fairies aligned, the costumes look like a pretty rainbow. With a gesture of the hand, fairy's invite me to dance.

The introduction has ceased and the Waltz is about to begin. I wonder if this dance piece will be at the park. With trepidation, I join the band. As I began to dance, my slight apprehension faded away and only joy filled my heart. We glided softly and gently in unison. Stretching and jumping like there isn't a tomorrow. Too early, the dance ended.

The other ballerinas began to marvel in a strange direction. When I called "wait" they were already gone. Dreamingly I then wander back through the tall, red poppies. Their fragrance was unbelievably exquisite to my senses.

At the time, I heard someone calling me and I realized it was my grandmother's voice. So I opened my eyes to see Grandma and another old lady with a lovely angel standing there.

Did little angel say hello? "What you have been doing?" She asked.

I say "dancing on nutcracker music".

She gives me a knowing smile and says "Come on, it's time for lunch come to our apartment with small baby Anvi, she already made me her friend the moment you slept".

With a breath, I rose slowly. Holding my very dear book to my heart, I walk with a feeling of joy. As I walked, I looked down at the brightly coloured wildflowers that scattered the path. In the background, I could hear laughter and excitement and I just smiled to myself. This place is not bad.

 This place is not bad