5

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you what was happening. I know you're a good friend. Will you forgive me?" Abhi apologized for his ignorance.

"You shouldn't be the one apologizing, Abhi... let's start from the very beginning. Remember my first dolly? my favorite Barbie doll I wanted to gamble with you?... You were the first person I thought about when I had to buy chocolates. You were always there when I was bored." Manyata began and carried on. I remember that our heads were shaved forcefully despite false cries. And many others, too. You were, are, and will continue to be my BFF Abhi. I regret that Abhi complained to Mrs. Rasher, I'm crazy to doubt you. I... I thought you were ignoring me, you...you promised me to make practice Maths. But you didn't return my calls and texts, anger got in the way. I noticed you looking at the paper under the table. I thought you were cheating Abhi... I thought you used to do that all the time and get great points every time. I was there, sitting through all that and having an internal debate with myself.

I'm a terrible student. There are topics that I am good at and could easily get great grades effortlessly. But I'm the one who failed in math, music and art. You won't understand how it is like going to summer school and sacrificing part of my vacation every time; take the same boring courses just to get a passing grade.

I know my parents would be disappointed, indeed angry, if I failed in mathematics. I knew you'd have higher grades than me. That's why I decided to talk to our teacher about what I saw. I'm sorry, Abhi, I had no idea Chay wasn't okay. Mom and Dad didn't tell me too. Will you still be my Best friend again?" Manyata said and cried out.

"You not only doubted me, but you blamed me falsely. Abhi felt betrayed and began justifying his actions in the name of their previous friendship. "Dad took me to Dehradun for an entrance exam at boarding school two weeks ago. "On the return trip, we ate at the picnic spot. The next day, Chayy started having loose stools and throwing up. So he was admitted to hospital, Mom and Dad have not returned home for two days. Anvi and I were with Granny. And Maan, yesterday, I received the results of my exam"

"You got selected?" Manyata spoke out her fear.

"Yes, I'll be leaving after this term," Abhi confirmed.

"But how can you leave me?" She yelled.

"Precisely the way you complained about me Manyata," Abhi showed his indignation.

Manyata was blown away by his final sentence. She cried and called Abhi several times, but he didn't look back.

It's been about a week. The examinations were finished and Abhi was leaving for Dehradun.

Manyata attempted to approach him, but refused to meet with her. Their parents were surprised that there was a rift between best buddies.

Night before Departure-

Abhiyaan

I wanted to speak to her, but I'm upset with her. I got to leave for Doon's school tomorrow, and I couldn't sleep. An hour passed staring at roof and thinking about everything that's happening in my life. Chay is home now but still unwell. Aunt Sapna said, he will be fine with time but our relatives are treating like he got some incurable disease. Only Uncle Ritesh and Aunt Eshi stood in support of my parents. Maan didn't do well with me. She hasn't been a good friend. She did apologise. If I leave on bad terms, maybe she will make new. The idea was making me restless.