4

Abhiyaan, and Manyata were of 10 and goes to Scared Heart convent. Manyata was waiting outside her class. She's not feeling well. She always gets sick the week of the exams. She's got 2 tests today. Maths is first and she hates math, it's her worst subject. But today is the last day of examinations! Abhi looked at her face, then quickly turned his eyes. Manyata believed he was guilty. He has no trouble with math. He doesn't have any problem with the topics!! "Then why is he weird?" she wondered.

"Hey, Manyata, it's my favourite exam today," Niharika, her friend, said when she got here.

Abhi stared back.

"What's the matter with this guy?" Niharika asked Manyata for Abhi's weird behaviour.

"IDK" Manyata shook her head.

"I thought you're close friends." Niharika smiled.

"Yes, so we are", Manyata looked and said, "But he hasn't talked to me in a fortnight. He promised to help me study for the mathematics exam, but then he ignored all my calls and messages. And when I called his place, his housemaid told me he was busy. He's forgetting who his friends are! said Manyata angrily.

"Are you hearing Niharika?" Mrs Rasher called her name noting the presence of students entering the exam room. Manyata watched Niharika anxiously and followed them.

Manyata couldn't answer question number five, it is too difficult. She looked up and saw Abhi seated in the row beside her. Manyata is surprised. Abhi holds a piece of paper beneath the table and reads it. Manyata's got no idea what to think. Is this how Abhi always got great grades?

She was really mad at Abhi but has no idea what to do. She thought about telling the teacher, but how would everybody feel about him? It is not right!

Manyata never cheated and she scored well in lots of exams.

Abhi already set aside his paper when Manyata looked again. He looked at Manyata and smiled sorrowfully. "Stop writing and put your pencils down" said Mrs Rasher as she started to collect the exam papers. Manyata has not responded to two of those questions. She's about to fail!

Manyata wanted to talk to Abhi at lunch time, but she couldn't find him in the classroom. The next exam is Science. This is Manyata's favourite subject but she doesn't feel good. She is angry with Abhi. Niharika went home for lunch every day, so she couldn't talk to her either. Manyata went to the library to study. She doesn't know what to do about Abhi. She thought about telling a teacher, but everyone would hate her if she does that. "It isn't fair he is your best friend!"

She thought. "Abhi is getting good grades by cheating all that time. And I thought we are friends!" Just then, Mrs Rasher walked past her table. "Madam..." she called.

Manyata sits behind Abhi at the science exam that afternoon, but Abhi did not take his paper.

Perhaps he doesn't need to cheat on science

Perhaps he doesn't need to cheat on science. Manyata blamed herself, she should never have told Mrs Rasher. But it was too late now. She wanted her to look at him and nod if she saw that Abhi again uses slip in the exam. She is on the last question, when she saw that Abhi has his paper under the table.

Without thinking Manyata looked up and nodded to Mrs Rasher, Abhi who is looking at his slip and didn't hear her as she walked silently up to his table. She doesn't say anything.

Abhi looked, surprised. She picked up his exam paper and pointed to the door, to tell Abhi to go outside. Abhi started crying as he walked to the door. Everyone is now staring at him and Manyata felt really sorry.

She passed the corridor at off time, when she heard footsteps behind her. It is Abhi. "Manyata, wait!" He called. "I want to talk to you." Manyata could see Abhi has been crying, his face is pale and his eyes are red. Manyata couldn't speak. "Listen, I'm really sorry I didn't answer your calls, but we're having a terrible time. Chay was ill and he's in hospital. Dad had his surgery day today and I was very worried so Mom sent me a Best of Luck note. I know it was stupid, but I was reading it again to get the strength, but Mrs. Rasher caught me. She thought I was cheating. But she believes me now. I'm sorry I didn't tell you what was happening. I know you're a good friend. Will you forgive me?"

 Will you forgive me?"