7

Abhiyaan

I had no word with her for a month. Phone calls were only allowed on weekends unless our families called. I watched my hostel mates write letters describing their lives away from home. I haven't tried unless the professor said to address it to the person we missed the most. A single name came to mind, Maan.

I know she's probably interrogating me. But I couldn't mail a letter to her address, so I sent it to my grandmother.

Dearest Granny,

I hope you're as healthy as Mom and Dad. Did Anvi, Chayy, and Maan, miss me?

Let everyone know that I'm in a safe place and I'm trying to adapt. Hostel is not so bad as everyone depicts, here I have one ...oh no, but two lost friends of my half-panties days. Any guesses? I really missed them when we moved into Mumbai. My mother and grandmother must have guessed I meant Sarthak and Keshav.

Yes, they are my roommates, even my roommates, we have the same class times as well. Maan and Anvi must be surprised, but tell them not to feel jealous. Tell Manyata to begin studying hard for the entrance examination. Chay, keep reminding her like a alarm clock.

Allow me to recount the incident of my first night at boarding school. We three packed our bags for first day in school. We were excited to start a new class and whine away the time speaking of our native place, old school, and the expectations of the hostel when we heard a vague noise. Just like the sound of a crying baby. We waited for somebody to pacify the child. Unfortunately, the baby just kept crying.

We had classes in the morning, fixing the alarm, we threw ourselves on our beds. But we became uncomfortable and changed our stance as the moans grew stronger and stronger. No one appeared to comfort the baby. What a baby's doing at a Doon hostel, I figured. Since we were new to campus and didn't know if there were staff quarters nearby. I quit pretending to be asleep and sat up. I saw that Sarthak was also sitting on his bed with a confounded and the defenseless look on his face. We saw each other and realized one thing - He was frightened.

We spent the rest of the night, talking about where this baby would be and why no one bothered to feed the baby or if it was a ghost. There was no pattern to the baby's cries, it started and stopped just like that. We did not know to whom to report this.

I can't remember how and when we slept, but after we prepared for school the next morning, on our way, we reported this to our hostel helper. He frowned at that and said, "Oh, its the hostel cat, you know. It's a forest breed and it sounds like a baby."

Needless to say, all of us laughed.

Mom Dad, I'm enjoying my life, while studying and participating in extracurricular activities here. After-school activities are a mandatory element of school life. There are around 70-80 sports clubs activities for students.

Thanks for providing this opportunity for me. The food here on the mess is just okay, not as good as homemade. But the canteen is turning as our favorite time pass place.

Next week a selection of Swimming, football and cricket teams will be done. I know, I have the blessings of your and will try my best to make my place in the team.

We will be having our unit one examination immediately next with team trials. So we're trying our best to cope with our studies.

Dad, I got the same house as you. I pride myself on being here. Ending my gibberish here, we have adjusted to sleeping with a crying baby- our cat.

Now, a note to my munchkins: Anvi and Chay don't trouble anyone in my absence. I will be back within 30 days for the next 10 days.

Mommy and Grandma start making my favorite foods one day before my arrival.

Miss you all

Take care.

Abhiyaan.

Every one was relieved after reading the letter of Abhiyaan. But happiness of Manyata's face diminishes next moment letter ends. She was missing Abhi as hell, she had already stopped eating food. Preparation for entrance was far, she was not even able to concentrate on her classes. Insecure feelings like; Abhi will forget her soon, surround her. She lost her focus.

 She lost her focus