A matter of pizza or nacho's

"What?!?" Percy sputtered, spilling her juice that Katie had fought so hard to find.

"Sounds about right,'' hummed Connor. "What'd you do this time Perce?"

"This time I'm actually not sure . . ."

Lavinia stuck her nose in the air, "well it's complicated but we believe you to be associating with a mortal group called the Avengers who are scoping out New Rome, also you ate all of the jelly bean in Reyna's jar -"

"I haven't done anything!"

"Well you have to come by order of the senate!"

"Okay, geese."

"So, shall we drive?"

New Rome wasn't exactly a skip, hop, and a jump away, but Percy needed some time to formulate the outlines of a plan. Or what could be a plan if she were a sane person.

"Couldn't you just like ZIPZAMZOOM! Us there? Otherwise it'll be like two hours by car!"

"Nah, I'm tired."

Lavinia huffed and dragged me to the garage, where a minivan popped up.

"I'm gonna have to pass on the road trip cupcakes," Coach Hedge said in mock sadness, "Guns and Ammo opened a new store downtown."

He left without another word, and Lavinia pried the door open claiming the front seat.

"I call backseat!" Yelled Conner, throwing himself across it.

"I guess I'll drive, seeing as you all drive like luatics." Katie huffed and parked down.

"Wait." Said Conner.

"That means . . ." Lavinia stammered.

"I'm in the boot." Percy finished, demoting the mood.

They blundered through some small coastal towns, hit one confused man wearing a rubber cupcake costume, and made it to New York by sundown.

That's right, they made the car trip work; here's how.

Sticky Centre: AKA the driver AKA Katie Gardner. Mission: driving without falling asleep. Hindrances: she's covered in orange juice, also, Lavinia won't stop turning the heater on full blast.

Dancing Gym: AKA the passenger seat AKA Lavinia Asimov. Mission: To get Percy to New Rome, also, bug Katie as much as she can. Hindrances: Katie is building up to yelling at everyone.

Mr Silverware: AKA the backseat AKA Conner Stoll. Mission: to steal everything of possible value in the car. Hindrances: Percy owns everything in the car and therefore is very protective.

The doggo spot: AKA the boot AKA Persephone Jackson. Mission: to formulate a plan that proves her innocence. Hindrances: she's in the cramped boot of the minivan and Conner keeps on trying to steal the silver seat belt buckle she's clinging onto for dear life.

It was all good and jolly until they got to Manhattan.

"I think I'm lost, guys . . ." Katie admitted.

"Let me see!" Lavinia stuck her head out the window, "all the buildings look the same - are we in a parallel world?"

"What happened to the map?" Katie complained.

Conner gulped, "I tossed it out to make room for Percy in the boot."

"AHHHHHHHHH!" Screamed Percy as they swerved around a corner and she flew against the wall.

"Does anyone know someone in Manhattan we can ask for directions?" Katie asked, sighing.

"I do!"

And so off they headed in the direction Connor pointed them, which no doubt led to some little known prank shop that sold capcicums that were actually mouth killing ghost peppers. But they were all too stressed to care.

The car zipped up onto a curb and Connor yelled "STOP!"

The car lurched to a halt.

"Is this it?" Asked Lavina skeptically, "it looks like a dairy."

"Actually I just know this place makes great tofu fritters and I -"

"NOPE!" Katie slammed the gas and they were off again.

They finally stopped at a busy looking skyscraper that almost scraped the clouds, literally.

"I'm pretty sure this is RED's building."

They all piled up, and Conner led then semi-confidently to the reception.

"I'd like to talk to the head honcho please ma'am." Katie said sweetly, "it's a matter of life of death."

"Almost as bad as pizza or nachos." Percy said solemnly.

Conner elbowed her.

The receptionist sighed, "look kids, I'll see what I can do but the head people probably don't have time. Can I get a name I can give on the phone?"

"Ummmm. Katie Gardner?"

"Ok, wait a second."

She held out a hand to symbolise the need for silence as the phone was picked up on the other end. "Yes, teenagers. One of them is female. In fact, three are. Name? I, uh, Katie Gardner? You want to talk with them? Lobby in five. Thank you."

"They'll see you know," she said, stock stunned as we grinned to each other. Rachel would always make time for us.

"So, we need directions to -"

Lavinia pinched Conner to stop talking, and they stared at the people in front of them. Not one of which was Rachel.

All of which however, identified as Avengers.