Chapter Five

April

     Now, my focus shifts to the door. I wait a total of twenty or so minutes. Sure enough, Chris comes through the door. Sporting his beanie as always, he threw on a white converse and a faded jeans coupled with the blue shirt I have seen him wear countless of times.

  Unlike me, he is a punctual being arriving exactly at the supposed time. He is my only white friend and there is a reason why. Our first meeting worked it's way to another meeting. It was platonic love at first sight.

     He peers his head making little movements on the balls of his toes searching for me. It does not take long before he immediately spots me on the bleachers. The melanin in my skin makes it easier for me to get spotted easily. When our gazes lock, I almost wish it was him.                           Jack.

     Honestly, my best friend is the best. His concern for me mostly startles me. When he came visiting during those three months, he was almost at the brink of tears. I had to calm him down a bit. He is quite a nerd but covers it up with his good boyish looks and his quite exquisite form of socialization.

      I smile up at him, waving him over to make him see me better. Although, it is useless. I am the only with melanin in this vicinity.

     "April!" He beams
    "Chris." I return in a flat tone, not able to strain my voice. He barrels towards me. His long legs make his stride towards me look easy. But, his height is nowhere near Jack's.

       Inches away, his arm pulls me in for a hug, which makes my crutches drop. I melt into him. Familiarity washes over me giving me a resort of peace and warmth much needed.

    "Thank goodness, you're okay." He muffles into my hair. Now it was my turn to be at the brink of tears. Weird looks are directed to us and Chris retracts but not as a result of that. He starts to examine me from head to toe. When he starts with my fingers, he had already asked a total of twenty and maybe even more questions straight out.

     I retract my hand and he follows my movements. Once he sees me bending to pick back up my crutches, he stops me.

    "Don't worry I've got it." He assures, helping me to pick it up himself.
     "Does your leg hurt? I didn't even realize that you were on crutches. I'm so sorry."
    He says worrying.

    "No."
   I lie releasing some tension from his worry etched. It returns, with him glaring at me.
He knows I'm lying.

     "A little." I continue giving up to his scrutiny.

     "Come on, I'll carry you."

    "No need." I protest.

    "I've done it before." He pesters.

    "So?" I ask as I scrutinize his face hoping to find that he is not serious.

   "I'll do it again."

   "Now?"

   "Now." He states.

     "Fine." I huff, not ready for an argument. I squeal a little when he lifts me up, bridal style. Chris sturdy arms steady me. I poke his cheek playfully and he smiles, his dimple showing. I smile too.

     Looking over his shoulder, I see a few more eyes locked on us. Once we reach the exit. I realize this is it.

        Emotions of sadness is intertwined with doubt and determination. Sadness that I am going to miss it here. I think I am even going to miss the smell of disinfectants in this hospital. Rose's blabbering, though annoying is what I will miss most of all.

   Secondly, I feel doubt. Doubt of what if's. What if I find him? What if I do not? Just what if?
Determination comes last. Lucky for me, it is the strongest. I dive into it, willing myself not to give up. I will find him. I must find him.
       I have to.