Chapter Fifteen

Dedicated to nife_writes

April

   I have at the least managed a fighting chance against my mother in having a room to call my own saved for me in her beloved mansion. To me, she had no choice but to give me one of the rooms of the many she has.

    Besides, I am her daughter. No matter what, blood is thicker than water.

     I have managed to engage with her in some small exchanges of mere formalities. Today would not be any more far from different. At least, I hope our conversation would just end with our exchange of greetings like we have been doing a lot of and nothing more.

"Good Morning Mother."

    I say sparing her a glance as I notice her well made up face, just like I had expected. Most likely, I normally expected to see a woman in the kitchen looking like she just woke up, and not like she was going to the Red Carpet. Sometimes, I really hoped she could be just normal.

      "Good Morning April."

    She reciprocates from behind the rim of the mug holding her black coffee which I am sure contains no form of sweetener probably so she would keep her weight in check.

     With that, I find myself nearly skipping to the door. I am very much eager as to what this day would bring me.

   "What have you been up to  lately?"

    She asks suddenly causing me to halt. Hesitantly turning to face her, my mind thinks up a straight short answer.

      "Nothing much."

"Really?"

     She asks her perfectly made brow raising up accordingly.
I remain perfectly still, not wanting to lie to her. If anyone could see through me it was her and I do not want to give out anything.

   "Dr. Drew reported to me that you have not been to work for your prospective duties."

She pauses.

         "Is that so?"

   She continues, ending with a hint of accusation in her voice. My heart skips a beat, but I think up a half lie. At least part of what I was about to say would be correct.

   "Yes it is, I just got healed of my injuries from my accident. So, I have decided to take a break just for a few months."

  I answer taking notice of how fast my legs had healed up, thanks to my mother.

      Just to make her stop her interrogation I even make a show of studying the small scar on my wrist that I had gained after my healing process. My body did heal perfectly in those two months and some few days.

"I know, but what are you up to?"        

      She asks again.

     "I am off to visit Chris. I need to see him."

     I answer back skipping the second part of the truth of my answer, immediately turning to face the door so as to hide my face from her scrutiny. I am most likely sure that it would be the second part of my answer that My mother would be most likely interested in.

        Yes, I was going to check up on Chris. But, the event right after was what I had been anticipating.