Chapter Twenty Three

April

    As Jack pulled me rather forcefully up from the chair to walk with him, I really could not help but wonder how much effect the lady that had fainted had on him.

Everything I had worked for went down the drain in a matter of minutes. Something I had tried to build for about the last few weeks. He was returning back to his former self. Every second and counting he is getting lost in the enemy. Depression. All because of that lady.

Who indeed was she?

I would have asked him, but every single person, Jack included in that waiting area had the countenance of one who just lost someone of a very huge importance.

And even more so, I am afraid of the answer I might get.

Her hair a slight lighter shade of mine was straight as opposed to the unruly nature of my curls. The colour of her eyes are blue but a very pale tint of it. Even her skin was pale. She could have looked better.

She was indeed sick. Although, if she could just gain a little weight I am certain she would return to her former glory of beauty.

I feel myself come to an abrupt stop. Jack's intense gaze bore into mine. Not entirely intimated by it like I was before, I force a smile. He immediately looks down for a bit and drag his head up to face me, but he is not looking at me. He purposely avoids my eyes.

"Why are you still here?"

I open my mouth to talk but it just keeps opening only to be closed and I am sure I resemble a fish gasping, in need of air.

Jack just talked.

"You-you just..."

"Talked." Jack confirms for me.

His voice. Jack's voice is melody, even sounding hoarse probably from not talking for years.

Wow.

He broke his vow for me. Maybe, the feelings I have for him could be reciprocated. The sudden burst of hope in me causes me to smile. A wide one.

But why?

What is so important that he needs to break his vow for. This must be serious. Very serious.
His right eyebrow is left in an amused curve as he watches me. His grip on my left arm relaxes, as he struggles to stifle his smile.

"You honestly don't think I don't talk at all." He says a ghost of a smile on his face. "Well, do you?"

"Why?" I breathe replying him with a question of my own I hope conveys the others I have swirling in my head.

"I talk April, but only when necessary." He pauses, his mood changing quickly. "And this is necessary."

Jack just said my name. He said my name. My name! Whatever he just said is not registering in my head. I only register the fact that he said my name.

"April." He calls causing my head to snap to him. He just did it again!

"I told you to go." He says his jaw tensing as he rubs his palm roughly against his neck and down his torso.

"I know." I speak finally finding my voice. "But, I am not done with your treatment."

"I can't have you around."

"Why?" I ask my throat hitching.

"Don't you know?"

"Know what?" I retort my voice for some reason coming out louder than I intend it to.