Chapter Twenty-Six

April

    Life was unexplainable. Something so simple but yet so difficult to explain. I often heard things like 'Life is too short', 'Live your life to the fullest', 'Be happy while living your life.' You know, the usual same old inspirational quotes. My mother has a bunch of such inspirational quotes in the form of videos on her phone and they always found a way of pissing me off.

    It made me feel like I was not doing enough with my life in a very weird way. It really pained me to listen to them when I was younger as she blasted it through the speakers of her phone every morning and played it on over and over again. It irritated me in fact. She always said such inspirational quotes helped your soul. And right now, I believe it does.

     At least, it gave me a chance to  speak with my mother. I asked her for some of her inspirational videos and for once in a very long time, she gave me a genuine smile. That was progress in our relationship with each other. At least, I hope it was.

    I could have easily gotten the inspirational quotes I needed from the Internet. I knew it and I knew my mother knew that too. I guess we both just decided to pretend we had forgotten about the past. Things moved on from there, we often found ourselves talking out somethings over a cup of coffee or two.

     Although I still felt heartbroken over my stupidity in trusting Jack and not considering the possibility of him having a girlfriend. I was happy that at least, I witnessed the relationship between my mother and I grow.

     It was really all worth it in a way. I learnt not to dive into conclusions too quickly. I learnt not to trust too easily and above all, I learnt to value those around me who value me.

Not someone like Jack, I suppose.

     Thank the heavens I have someone like Chris by my side if not, I am so sure I would be going bonkers by now. Chris was definitely the best, he always came over to check up on me, that is even the reason why we lay akwardly on my mother's couch watching a movie, our mouths filled with popcorn.

  "I'll get it." Chris suddenly shifts, and gets up immediately walking towards the door.

Huh, I guess somebody rang the doorbell.

   "Okay!" I call back to him my gaze shifting back to Dwayne Johnson flexing his biceps.

  "Who are you?" I hear Chris mutter his tone rash. I wait to hear the response but I do not receive any.

     Who is at the door?

     The rest of the conversation is muffled so I cannot make out any thing Chris or whoever is at the door is saying. A sudden bang of the door causes me to jump a little. Chris must be mad.

  "Chris, are you okay?" I ask my voice filled with worry as I make haste to get on my feet, but the blankets around me restricts my attempted movements.

     "Yeah, I'm fine." He answers, his reply suspiciously swift.

   "Are you sure?" I ask again with concern as I see him emerge from the passage that leads to the door.

   "I said I'm fine!" He replies his voice taking a high pitch.

What is up with him and who was at the door?

  "Okay." My voice turns out tiny.

"I'm sorry, okay." He apologizes moving towards me his face sullen.

   I give him a small smile. Maybe, it was one of the side effects of the drugs he took for his autistic nature that made him angry for no reason. I open my arms and invite him over for a hug. He smiles back at me and rushes into my arms. He pulls me to him and I do not resist as he wraps his arms around me and I do same.

    We stay like that for a about a minute before I decide to investigate on what made him so angry.

"Have you had your medicine." I ask taking baby steps.

   "Mhmm." He mutters as he smiles into my hair. His obvious relaxation causes me to drop the bomb.

    "Okay, so who was that at the door?" He turns rigid almost immediately but does not pull away and I pull him closer. He must not run away from this question.

"No one important." He answers, his thick British accent lacing his voice.

"No one important?" I repeat for confirmation.

"Yeah, it was no one important." He pulls out away from me, his hands moving to my cheeks.

"You trust me right?" He asks simply running away from my question.

"Yes, I do."

"Great, I guess I'll hit the showers then." He breathes moving around me easily.

How did this conversation change so quickly from my question to Chris going to get a shower?

   I plop down on the couch and stretch to get the remote from the table in front of me so I can change the channel. Something shiny peeks from underneath the couch across the room. I stand up to get a closer look.

Is that my bag?

Didn't I leave that at-
"Jack!" I exclaim as my brain puts two and two together. I left my bag at Jack's house. I squat to pick it up to confirm my suspicion. It is my bag, the one I left back at Jack's house.

   Sometimes, I wished Jack would bring it back for me. Besides, I had a few important documents in it. The bag is intact and the documents untouched.

How did it get here?

Realization hits me. It was Jack at the door. Why did Chris not tell me then? Jack was important to me, maybe not to Chris. But, still he should have told me.

What is going on?