Chapter Ten

Jack

     When I was younger, I was told vegetables were good for the heart. In fact, I grew up to love them. It didn't take long for me to realize that they indeed were actually good not only for the heart, but for the whole body entirely. Right now, I feel my belief of that going down the drain quicker than I ever imagined it to.

     It was ironic at how fast my heart was pounding in my chest. I always have control over my heart, my body even. But right this moment I didn't. I was vulnerable. My breathing didn't come out even like it did. My feet felt wobbly, a characteristic that has never had the opportunity to happen to me. All because of she.

     April stood out on the front porch already drenched by the rain. It didn't help that she was smiling. That action alone took away my breath as it engraved itself in my brain. Even my heart couldn't put up a fight as the image of the action crawled into it. I would have asked why and what she was doing here, but I can't.

     In order for me to quickly cover my shock I turn around and walk back into the house. Shockingly, she follows me back into my house. Taking my time to relax my expression a bit, I grab my phone. Turning around, I see her leaving through the door. She must have said something. My legs move on their own accord as I grab her arm before she can even step an inch out the door. The look on her face depicts hope intertwined with shock.

     Luckily, she has her phone with her. I take it from her and put it in her palms urging her to use it. She types something in it and I get an instant
notification, my phone vibrating in response.

'Hey :)' I see a text.

   I look up from my phone to see a grin on her face bigger than the emoticon she just sent me. Once I do, I see her raise a finger up as her face morphs into seriousness as she begins typing again. My phone vibrates with a notification and I look down at it before she catches me ogling her face.

     'My name is April Daphne.'

I see once I open my phone. I know that already.

'I know.'

I type using the keypad of my phone letting my thumb linger over the send button. I really hope she won't find me a stalker.
Before I send the message, I reread my message again wondering how she got my number before I reformat it.

'I know. How'd you get my number?'

I send the text, looking up at her to see her reaction.

    "I am so sorry for that. I really wanted to thank you for saving me. I am really sorry. Please forgive me."
She pleads forgetting to use her phone. Luckily, I read her lips even if she talks a little too quickly.

     I study the pained expression painted on her face. Satisfying myself that it's genuine. I quickly type on the keypad of my phone.

'Apology accepted.'

Again, she grins. She looks down at herself before speaking again.
    "I am sorry for getting your carpet wet."
I read off her lips as her eyes follows the drips of water coming off her body.
I feel the tension rise as it seems neither of us wants to break the silence.

     Choosing to use her phone this time for communication, April types something down on her phone. I feel yet another vibration from my phone

'Why do you not talk?' I read.

Anger brews inside me as I type back.

   'Why are you here?'