Chapter Seven

April

"Your mum called."

"Really." I breathe, looking down at my laps wondering why she would.
Chris had already come back with my crutches and had kept in the boot of the Mercedes. We had already driven down a few blocks away from the hospital after letting the gates pull open on their own automatically. I was not in a bit surprised.

I had seen better at all of the many mansions my mother owned. My mother had me transferred to another hospital before I even woke up. She was the one who even kept Rose as my own nurse.

To her, apparently the former hospital I was at before my transfer was not 'suitable' for me. Rose had told me this morning. I was mad at her about it, but I let it pass. She was instructed by my mother to do so. Basically, I knew well that she would do something likely to that. That was just my mother been my mother.

"She's really worried, even though she doesn't show it." Chris presses.

"I know." I wince, raising my head up to catch him looking back at the passenger seat to me with concern.

"Now watch the road." I warn as he sucks in a breath of exasperation making me roll my eyes.
A few minutes pass with us in comfortable silence.

I admire the crevices on the gravel roads we are driving on. Lost in silence, I let my thoughts wander of to before. The before of my life I would love to go back to and change.

Three years ago.
"Mother." My twenty year old self called.
"Yes." She answered walking into the room with her phone away from her, her palms covering the mouthpiece. She mouthed to me.
'I am on the phone.'
"I know." I stated the obvious.
'Shhh.' She warned with a wicked glare. I rolled my eyes but she noticed and pointed her index finger out to me the glare still etched on her face.
I waited for her to finish her call. She finally got off the phone, and I could not wait to drop the bomb on her.
"What is it?" She questioned sitting on the sofa her perfectly shaped brows raising. Her expensive perfume clouded my breathing as she took a seat next to me on the sofa. It was very easy to notice how hard of an effort she put into her appearance. No strand of her hair came out of place. She really showed off that money is a good thing to have, and she happened to have a lot.
"Where is my father buried?" I replied with a question of my own. The look on her face is what I had never seen before in all my years of living with her. Before I got to study it, she collected her self a bland look replacing it. In all my years of been a psychotherapist, my mother is the only one who could hide her expression from me. Because of that, she captivates me.
"You do not need to know." She said, her eyes narrowing as she refused to face me. It was from her I learnt to talk the way I did. Apostrophes in words were a no-no for her. Words like 'don't' were unacceptable. According to her, you express yourself plain and simple. She took that really seriously and made me do the same. Such words felt and still feels strange to me.
"Your wrong." I said to her that day. I should never have. It ended everything.
"So, you speak back to me now?" She finally said and look med up to me.
"I need to know!" I shouted frustration taking over me. It killed me at how she could look so calm and collected when I felt the direct opposite.
"Go away."
"What?" I asked confused.
"You heard me." She said, the same index finger she used in warning me pointing to the door.
"Go." She instructed.
I went.

I jolt back to reality as Chris lets his car reach a halt that I am sure must have spoilt something in it.
"Are you trying to get us killed?" I ask fuming.
He drags his finger up to point out the window. He is pointing at something. I soon realize it is something I dread to walk into. One of the many of my mother's mansions.