Chapter Seventeen

Jack

'I am on your front porch, please come open the door.'

I see on my phone once I look to it. It's a message from April. Subconsciously, my heart skips a beat.

Why did she come so early?

Hesitantly, I move to the door every action of mine calculated. My palm is on the door knob before I feel my phone vibrate again.

'Please do come to the door.'

I see once more. Before I can get the door to open. I receive yet another vibration.

'I heard the ping of your phone.'

Seriously?

'I heard it once again :)'

A small smile tugs at my lips at her silliness. I quickly open the door as I try to stop my phone from getting an influx of messages.

Almost expectedly, I see a grin on her face brighter than the emoticon she just sent me. I expected this. In fact I prepared for this. But, nothing I did could prepare me for that smile. The one that appeared when needed.

'Come in.' I send to her as I pull the door ajar. She does, the smile not sliding off her face.

When April came few days ago, we had  agreed for my appointments to be done at my home. It was easier that way.

I let April pick the days of my appointments, since I got to pick the location. April decided even when I protested that of all the seven days in a week that I had to myself, she would like to have three of it.

I even spoke to Kara yesterday about it. Truthfully, it made me feel a lot better that way. She was surprised about it, shocked even at who could make me change my mind about my decline against appointments in less than an hour.

Although I couldn't miss the happiness that accented her tone as she spoke to me, agreeing to come see April whenever she could.

April sets her backpack cautiously against the couch, she sits on it and I do the same. She looks nervous her fingers playing with themselves.

I check the time on my phone and quickly send a message to April.

'It's 10:31 and at exactly 11:31 you'll be leaving. Be quick about this.' I urge.

Seeming to snap out of her reverie, she turns to face me, tucking in her legs in a criss-cross pattern a fake smile that almost looks real plastered is on her face.

"So, normally I like to be formal with my patients." She says to me.

I nod, a sign for her to continue.

"But, you are different." She adds her big brown eyes staring at mine.

I stare back. Tilting her head slightly to the right, a curious look clouds her face.

"Why is it that anyone you bent to would lot lure you?" I read off her lips. I must have gotten that wrongly. I'm almost sure lure wouldn't fit in that sentence

'Please repeat yourself. I think I read the words off your lips wrongly.' I type, sending my message to April.

"I said." She says pausing as she takes in a quick breath, lifting her gaze away from her phone.

"Why is it that anyone you went to could not cure you?" She adds repeating her words in a much slower manner.

'I didn't want to be cured.' I type, sending the message to her.

"Why?" She asks.

'It doesn't matter.' I instantaneously reply, hanging my head low.

I feel her touch my forearm. I don't stiffen at it. In fact, I welcome it.

I give her a small smile, as she opens her mouth to speak.

"Well, I will cure you."