Chapter 4

I was finally home and exhausted. I had counted down the minutes for work to end as I could no longer stand Faith's weird behavior. Her switch in behavior baffled me and I couldn't wait to getaway. After our shift ended, we did an awkward wave goodbye and went our separate ways. Now that I was finally home, I didn't have the energy to think about it. 

 I crawled to my bed too tired to remove my clothes. I was beginning to think that taking the job was a bad idea. It's not that I like working, just not that kind of work. When I said it to my father he was against it at first but then I convinced it would help me to be responsible, of course, that was a lie, but I couldn't blurt out I was sick of being home in this big place, mostly by my self. In the end, it worked, and two weeks later, I wanted to quit. I think he actually agreed as a means to punish me, as I've never worked a day in my life, and why would I need to? I have everything. 

But now, here we were in New York. How did we move from London to New York? I hated it here.  Felt stuffy and dirty. London was paradise. Moving was definitely not my parent's brightest idea. I was already in school and they decided to uproot my life and come here. My father claimed it was good for business to expand and move. He recently opened a firm here, that I had no idea about. We had to move just to please him. I had plans. Literally uprooted my life to come here. 

 When I got the news, I almost threw a tantrum. At my age, my parents would probably admit me to an insane asylum. I could always move out but with what money? I don't get my trust funds until I'm twenty-one and if I do move, I'm positive they would cut off all my access to money. 

Back home I had friends. People I could talk to, watch movies, and shop with. Now, I had no one. After moving here they lost interest in communicating with me, guess they felt I was beneath them now. And who could wrong them? I think my parents enjoyed seeing me lonely. They were never fond of any of them. So here I was; country, new school, no friends. Again, I hated it here.  Too many things were different. The food, the clothes, the way they spoke. Everything. 

I wanted to ask my father to let me find an apartment near campus, but just thinking about asking him caused knots in my stomach. That conversation would not go well, plus, I can't upset him further. He was furious when I told him I didn't want to follow in his footsteps and do business. So the plan was to do a year, then change major with the hopes of finding a way to support myself because I'm sure he'll cut me off. 

I had another week before school reopened and to say I was nervous was an understatement. I knew no which would make me the new girl on campus. The new rich girl. Great. The college wasn't one where rich kids went. It was average.  I did extensive research on it before coming here. I wasn't impressed.  I know they could have found a better college but I'm positive it was my mother's idea. She always said I was spoilt and needed to be more grounded.  It's ironic seeing that she was the one that would dress me to go to stupid events. All of this was making me tired, I close my eyes in hopes of getting some sleep. 

"What is it child?" he barked. I jumped at the sound of his voice. "Speak up". 

Letting out a shaky breath, I answered " Dad, I wanted to talk to you about my plans after school". He looked at me and went back to writing.

  "We 've hardly discussed this. You will enroll at the college i've paid for then work at my firm.". he said with finality. 

"But dad, I don't want to work at your company. I was thinking .."

"I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU ARE THINKING!". He roars. slamming his hands on the table. I jerk back in fright. "I'm the one sending you to college, therefore, you do as I say. End of discussion".