33. they spoke of a miracle

s2e13: the devil is damned

Brynley and Elijah still stood in the safe house two days later, on the phone with Klaus and Rebekah.

"Could we dispense with this fascinating dispute for just a moment and return to the subject of our supposed long-lost sister?" Elijah spoke up.

"There's not much to discuss, Elijah. She said she was Freya, and then she darted off into the night." Rebekah sighed over the phone.

"And you believed her?" Elijah questioned.

"Well, I met the girl in a mystical loony-bin-- she could be anyone telling any lie. But, she did seem... familiar, somehow." Rebekah shrugged.

"Then how is she still alive?" Klaus asked. "A question, as ridiculous as its possible solutions, given this family's annoying predilection for cheating death."

"I dunno, Nik, I'm just telling you what she said!" Rebekah said.

"Did you happen to ask if there's any chance Dahlia is alive?" Brynley asked, worried.

"I barely had a chance to process-" Rebekah began.

"Because on the list of obvious questions, it would be nice to know if the woman who placed a curse on the first-borns of this family is still breathing air." Klaus interrupted.

"Well, let me just turn back time and do it again to your liking, then!" Rebekah argued.

"Enough! Both of you. If she is who she says, we'll find out soon enough. For now, it remains imperative that no one learns of Hope's existence and Brynley's pregnancy." Elijah sighed and wrapped an arm around Brynley's shoulder, being able to tell she was scared for their child.

"Wait, what?" Rebekah screamed. "Brynley's pregnant?"

"Surprise!" Brynley smiled slightly.

"Oh my god, it's Elijah's, right?" Rebekah questioned

"Of course it's mine!" Elijah exclaimed and Brynley smirked.

"Wow." Rebekah gasped.

"The fact that no one knows the children exist has been our salvation thus far." Elijah sighed.

"Unless Hayley's husband-to-be starts flapping his gums." Klaus wondered. "Perhaps I should take preventative measures and separate him from his head?"

"Jackson will do nothing to jeopardize that wedding." Elijah said.

"Hayley's getting married?" Rebekah yelled. "Well, what in hell else did I miss?"

-

Finn and Freya sat together in the bell tower of St. Louis Cathedral, discussing.

"I'm here because of a spell Dahlia cast, placing me in a deep sleep for a century, only to then wake for a single year of life. I've repeated this cycle for hundreds of years. It started as a way for us to stay young and beautiful." Freya explained. "She said if a witch can't be immortal, this was the next best thing. But, in time, I realized that all her stories were paired with lies."

"The way you're speaking of her... You're saying that Dahlia is still alive?" Finn pointed out.

"She doesn't just live, she hunts. I fled from her long ago, and I've been running ever since. To Dahlia, any act of betrayal is punishable by death." Freya said. "Dahlia is my cross to bear. She has no grudge against anyone but me."

"Did she ever speak to you about the curse she placed on this family? The one that says she can take the first-born of every generation?" Funn questioned.