Chapter 1 - Hate, Kuroo and Tsukishima

"We lost."

All the boys in their black shirts and red pants gathered in a half-circle, glances to their old coach in front of them, Nekomata Yasufumu. Not liking what their coach had said, disappointment were written ont the volley ball boys' faces- especially the first and second years - after being reminded on one of their nightmare, losing in Interhigh qualifiers for nationals.

"We still have SpringHigh though..."

The boys startled, heads turning on their right where the person who just spoke was seated, long arms over his lifted knees. Coach Nekomata laughed proudly on that bold statement from Nekoma's Captain Kuroo Tetsurou.

Kuroo glances to his teammates, one brow scrunched up and had his infamous smirk.

"If you hate losing then..." he continued with a shrug. "...instead of slacking off, you better start improving yourselves."

Provocation has it, it made the quick change on his kohais' faces, motivation rapidly flows on their blood. They nod then look back to their coach, waiting for his cue.

Coach Nekomata gives a calming smile to the kids.

"As what your captain said... you should begin now and get ready for Springhigh Tournament." he cues, hand clapped.

"And go to Nationals." Kuroo added.

"OSSS!" the young ones shouted, running towards the equipment room to get the things they need before the practice.

"WE'RE GOING TO NATIONALS!!!" Yamamoto Taketora, the energetic-full-of-guts-and-power ace of Nekoma shouted, almost echoed through the whole gym.

"You're getting better in handling this kind of stuffs." Yaku Morisuke, Nekoma's libero, whispers.

Kuroo's shoulders went down, watching the boys roaming around the gym, looking for their spots to begin with their stretches.

"I'm the captain after all." he stated, flashing an boustful grin.

"Yeah~ a scheming and provacative type." Kenma murmured, earning a scowl from his friend.

"KYEN-MAAA! GIVE ME SETS HERE!" that was Tora shouting again. It gives the reason for Kenma to scowl back to Kuroo. Provoking the ace means excessive practice, means tiring hours for the setter, which he hates.

Kuroo shrugged his shoulders, Yaku and Kai laughs.

"So what's the plan now?" Morisuke asks, they look at each other then to their teammates.

"Assesment." the second year setter suggested, looking down on his phone to after sending a message to someone.

Trusting his good perception, the third years quickly nodded.

"Then we c-"

"Coach!"

Before Yaku had his words, he was cut off. They turned to the gym's entrance and there was Nekoma's assistant coach, Naoi Manabu, who they'd been looking for earlier. Some even joked that since the coach is still single, he might ended up with a woman last night.

"Ohoho!"

Kuroo, Kenma, Yaku and Kai startled when they heard Coach Nekomata, behind them, suddenly laugh - his so happy laugh.

"They're here." the old man said, glancing at Kuroo. Coach Naoi who's still catching his breath after running from the school entrance to the gym, politely nodded.

"Who?" Kuroo muttered, a brow raised up, hand in his hip. He preferred to ask the assistant coach. Kenma, Yaku and Kai had the same question on their heads.