16|THE BEGINNING

SIXTEEN

SIXTEEN

THE BEGINNING

It had been a week since Cedric had passed. Valentina refused to speak to anyone. She showed no emotion whatsoever, making her peers question if she did indeed have a heart at all. She hated the pity glances they would give her, the quiet whispers whenever she walked past. She simply wanted to be alone and grieve in peace.

His funeral had been tough for her, even if she didn't show it. She listened as people recounted all the wonderful times they had encountered with Cedric. Valentina had been asked to say something as well but she couldn't bring herself to do it. Her father was the one that gave the order, it felt wrong for her to say anything about him now.

Valentina sat alone in the Great Hall for the final feast. It was decorated in black drapes with respect to Cedric. No one bothered her as they ate. Soon, Dumbledore ended her misery by standing up at the staff table. The Great Hall became very quiet.

"The end," said Dumbledore, looking around at them all, "of another year."

He paused, and his eyes fell upon the Hufflepuff table. Theirs had been most subdued table before he had gotten to his feet, and theirs were still the saddest and palest in the Hall. He then drifted to Valentina before continuing.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured towards the Hufflepuff, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

They did it, all of them; the benches scraped as everyone in the Hall stood, and raised their goblets, and echoed, in one loud, low, rumbling voice, "Cedric Diggory."

Valentina met the eyes of Fred Weasley who sat across the table a couple of seats along. He wished to comfort her but he was aware that his actions would be turned away. He looked away.

Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff House," Dumbledore continued. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."

Valentina stared at Dumbledore.

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

A panicked whisper swept the Great Hall. People were staring at Dumbledore in disbelief, in horror. He looked perfected calm as he watched them mutter themselves into silence.

"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continued, "does not wish to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so — either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."