||22||

Eleven years ago_
Four months before the shipwreck_

The men that Shi-Zen called 'bandits' surrounded us quickly and me and Shi-Zen sat back to back. Both of us terrified of the oversized men in front of us.

What do we do?

Do we run? Do we scream?

I don't know what to do. I'm too scared.

I'm scared. I'm scared. I'm scared. I'm scared.

I'm...scared?

"What's up with this kids hands?"

But why am I scared?

My blood began to heat up as I watched one of the bandits holding Shi-Zen up by his hair and the others all scrutinise my appearance.

"His ears are weird too."

I have the power of the Mushokuryuu.

I looked down to see my blades had pierced through my skin unconsciously.

Was it reminding me I wasn't alone?

That's right. I am the Mushokuryuu.

"Put him down," I muttered.

"What was that?" the ring leader asked, putting his hand behind his ear as if that'd help him try and catch the words I'd already spoken once.

I hate repeating myself.

"I said," I stood up and launched forward, "put my best friend down!"

I clawed at the man's face which caused him to drop Shi-Zen.

Almost instantly I was pinned to the ground by the others.

"Go get help!" I shouted at my friend, he looked at me with tear filled eyes and shook his head.

"I-I won't leave you, Arcane," he cried out.

"Go!" I shouted, "please!"

His form trembled before he nodded and ran away.

"Don't die, Arc!" he shouted.

I let out a sigh of relief before suddenly I had a hand gripping my face and lifting me up off the ground like that.

"You little bastard," the ring leader cursed, "you'll pay for what you just did."

"What? I just rearranged your ugly mug," I glared through his fingers and he pulled out a knife in response.

What's he going to do with that?

Kill me?

He placed the tip of the blade against my heart and began pushing in.

I squirmed the best I could to make him either pull it out or move away from my heart.

The stinging sensation burned through me as he moved up instead of down.

"Damn it, say still so I can kill you!" he growled before placing his blade down again in a different spot and attempted to carve me up again.

This time I moved and swung my legs up to his arm, wincing as the knife shot up my chest. I tightened my grip around his arm and forced him to let me and the knife go.

"You little brat," he glared at me, "kill that freak show and bring me his head."

My head? For what? To stuff and hang on your wall? Weird guy, that'd be creepy.

As a guy pulled out his sword and went to swing it at me, I raised my blades above my head and took the blow of the attack, however, a sudden crack caught my attention and I pushed away just as my blades snapped off like they were simple twigs.

I stared at them for a few moments before a sudden delayed pain shot through me and I crumbled to the floor.

It hurts.

It hurts so much.

It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.

Dad. Mum.

Help me.

It's hurting so bad...

"Kill him whiles he's down!" the ring leader shouted.

I looked up with tear filled eyes as the sword was raised up again. However, before the man wielding it swung down, an arrow came flying out of no where and planted itself right in between his eye brows.

"Get the hell away from my son," dad's voice echoed. I looked to the side to see my dad there with pretty much all the village. They were all holding weapons and at the front of the group was Shi-Zen.

He came back.

"Arcane!" he waved, "I brought your dad!"

"Yeah..." I nodded weakly, suddenly feeling really dizzy, "I can see that... Thanks, Shi-Ze..."

°🏴‍☠️°

When I woke up, I found myself staring up at the ceiling of my room and sat up.

"How'd I?" I looked around confused before wincing and letting out a pained gasp.

"You're awake," dad rushed over to me and gently pushed me down again, "you mustn't move, son, you're still healing."

I looked down to see my chest bandaged up and also my hands.

"My blades," I looked at them-- or-- well, where they were supposed to be.

"They just broke off," I muttered sadly.

"Don't worry," dad ruffled my hair, "I'm sure they'll heal over time too. But you need to rest in order to heal, alright? So sleep, my boy. Your mother will bring you some food later, alright? Sleep now."

I watched as he turned and reached the door.

"Dad," I called out, he paused in the doorway and looked back at me, "thank you for saving me."

He smiled and nodded.

"I'll do anything for my son," he told me, "I'd even die for you, My boy, that's my job as your father."

"I don't want you to die though," I muttered as I began to feel sleepy, "Don't ever... Leave... Me... Dad..."

"I won't," was the last thing I heard before embracing the world of dreams again.